XPEnology Community

Install synology on mini HP Prodesk 400 g5 ?

koops

Question

Hello Team,

I new on this forum, I own an HP mini pc Prodesk 400 g5 with i5 8th gen, 16gb ddr4 ram, and 1Tb ssd Nvme inside.

I would like to turn it into a Synology NAS using a USB flash drive 32gb 3.2 for the system and the nvme inside for the data... How can I do that ?

Thanks by advance 

8 answers to this question

2 часа назад, koops сказал:

... I own an HP mini pc Prodesk 400 g5 with i5 8th gen, 16gb ddr4 ram, and 1Tb ssd Nvme inside.

I would like to turn it into a Synology NAS using a USB flash drive 32gb 3.2 for the system and the nvme inside for the data... How can I do that ?

First, decide for what purposes you need a NAS. Let's assume that for simple home use: storing personal photos, videos and some other useful files with the ability to access them from the outside world.

If yes, then you can go the easiest way:

1) download and burn the Arc loader to USB flash (by the way, this is not a "system", but just a "bootloader", even 4Gb will be enough; if you want to, then you can replace it with another option without losing data on the disk)

2) connect the monitor and keyboard, wired LAN, boot from USB, select the DS-920+ model and version 7.2, and simply confirm all other items in the Arc bootloader by default

3) after restarting in the DSM-mode wait a few minutes and connect to DSM from another computer on the same LAN at [your_NAS_ip]:5000 (for example 192.168.0.101:5000)

4) Profit! :) (The monitor and keyboard can be disconnected)

but keep in mind that if you use only one disk, it will not provide protection from failures - you will have to make backups regularly if you do not want to lose data!

Edited by dj_nsk

15 часов назад, koops сказал:

Hi this is what I get

Oh yes, you have NVME, not SATA SSD.

Try this:

1) connect the monitor and keyboard, reboot DSM

2) select Config Mode in bootloader menu

3) Addons - mark the item "nvmestorage", OK, Build Loader, Boot Loader...