XPEnology Community

Grub error - Invalid arch-independent ELF magic

JoseM

Question

Hi, my nas has been running for about one year now without any issue.

I installed tinycore-redpill-uefi.v0.8.0.5.img in a usb drive, followed instructions and got my DSM_DS918+ running with different volumes and disks.

The pc is an i5 with 10Gb ram.

Yesterday we had two sudden power cuts and the system stopped working. After booting there is an error:

invalid arch-independent ELF magic.

Entering recue mode...

I have tried to create other usb drive following the same steps, I can get Tinycore working, I can ssh using Putty, but after everything  I can't find / access the nas in https://finds.synology.com/ , or using Synology Assistant. 

Can anyone point me in a direction to recover the system? I don't want to lose all my data.

Thanks

image.png

image.png

3 answers to this question

В 12.01.2024 в 01:45, JoseM сказал:

Can anyone point me in a direction to recover the system? I don't want to lose all my data.

If you only change the bootloader, then your data should be saved. Try to install the bootloader cleanly (format the usb flash drive and install).

Which version of the DSM do you have installed (not the bootloader, namely the DSM)?

I would recommend updating both the bootloader and DSM versions 6->7

You can use more convenient automated bootloaders, for example:

Thanks for your reply!

I first tried to burn a different usb with the same version of TCRP loader and DSM 7.1. It didn't work.

Then I tried last version of TCRP and DSM 7.2. No success.

Finally, tried Arc Loader and DSM 7.2 and the system is up and running. Fortunately, my data is still there. I only have to re-install the apps and configure the system as it was.

I will definitely buy a UPS!