XPEnology Community

Cannot install 7.2 with ARC Loader

Hello guys,

I started a project to migrate my several years-old "DSM 6.1.7-15284 Update 3", model DS3615xs to 7.2.

Before messing up with the real deal, I've installed ARPL boot loader in a new USB stick and installed it with a new HDD just to see what happens. I've heard that one cannot move directly from 6.x to 7.2, so I did this first. Installed a DS3622xs+ model 42962 and DSM 7.1.1-42962 Update 6, the last one available. Couldn't be easier. Runs perfectly.

Then I created a third USB stick with ARC 23.12.4 and tried several DS models:

- DS3622xs+, DS6121xs+, RS3621xs+, DS1819+ hang when it tries to load DSM ("“Arc console - wait…”)

- DS1520+ allows me to install the latest DSM version (7.2.1-69057). But, after booting, I get the DSM error (by accessing http://IP:5000) “Sorry, the page you are looking for is not found”

I've tried to downgrade ARC boot loader to 23.12.3, 23.11.x, 23.10.x with the same results.

Tried ARC with a lower DSM version (7.2.1 64570) and did not work.

Also tried to use ARC with 7.1, did not work too.

Tried direct boot, tried to play with addons... nothing helped.

In time: on every try, instead of just recreating the boot loader directly, I burned the USB from scratch, to avoid any "side effects".

Hardware is:

Mainboard: ECS NM70-I2 (V1.0)

CPU: Celeron 847-2M-Cache-1_10-GHz

NIC: Realtek 8111E

Any ideas?

Thanks a lot!

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/5/2023 at 3:01 PM, canzone said:

Before messing up with the real deal, I've installed ARPL boot loader in a new USB stick and installed it with a new HDD just to see what happens. I've heard that one cannot move directly from 6.x to 7.2, so I did this first. Installed a DS3622xs+ model 42962 and DSM 7.1.1-42962 Update 6, the last one available. Couldn't be easier. Runs perfectly.

at this point you would have been finished as 7.1 gets updates and everything, no need do more, 7.2 is optional, most likely nothing there what you need or might be able to use (with that old hardware)

(when coming from  6.x you would need to check about packages, as 7.x is different in that regard and needs newer packages, so if you user 3rd party packages check if they are available for 7.x)

On 12/5/2023 at 3:01 PM, canzone said:

Tried ARC with a lower DSM version (7.2.1 64570) and did not work.

Also tried to use ARC with 7.1, did not work too.

there are alternatives

https://github.com/PeterSuh-Q3/tinycore-redpill