XPEnology Community

Is it possible to install Xpenology on to original Synology (for example, DS220+)?

Aqua2222

Hi, guys!

The original NAND is died (R.I.P.) on original DS220+. Is it possible to install Xpenology on it? 

Actualy, network adapter lost the Syno-mac and serial, and I had create USB-stick with F400 PID and VID, and flash the XPe Arc-loader on it, but no luck: the station doesn't recieved the IP.

Thanks in advance for any answers!

I think is not possibile, but you can try to fix.
Mac address and serial number are on the paper box, you need to replace broken bios chip and flash bios into new chip.
If you download .pat file, you can open it with Winrar, into archive you can view bios file and DSM , you can extract bios file and write them into new chip via eeprom programmer.
It works if you have some soldering skills and right tools, hot air station and eeprom programmer 

Edited by Aigor

• 4 weeks later...
Posted (edited)

There are multiple options.

Option 1: Submit a support ticket to Synology

You said "The original NAND is died (R.I.P.) on original DS220+".  I assume you meant the DOM (Disk on Module).  You may be able to get a replacement DOM from Synology.  Not sure about the cost though.

Option 2: Get a after market DOM

If option 1 is too expensive or not available, you may get an aftermarket DOM on eBay.  But this option requires a lot of technical skills:

1) The aftermarket DOM socket is regular size while the Synology DOM is mini size.  You'll have to swap the socket on the DOM.  If you're not good at soldering, this option is not recommended.

2) If you get the DOM and have the socket swapped, you may duplicate the original (OEM) DS220+ DOM image to the new DOM.  Yes, I know that your original DOM is dead.  You may be able to get help from other DS220 users.  You'll have to update the serial number and MAC addresses in the DOM to reflect yours.  Otherwise, there's a potential conflict with other users if both of you are trying to use Synology services(such as QuickConnect, etc.)

Option 3: Use a USB stick

1) You need to flash the USB stick PID/VID to F400/F400.

2) You need to clone an OEM DOM (Synology bootloader) to the USB stick.

3) You need to remove the original DOM from the motherboard

4) You need to plug the USB stick to the front USB port (USB ports on the back won't work)

Needless to say, you'll have to update SN and MAC like option 3.

Now, to your original questions - "Is it possible to install Xpenology on to original Synology (e.g. DS220+)?"  The short answer is "most likely not".  I tried it on DS412+ with different loaders, such as APRL, TCRP-M Shell, Arc, etc.  I got to the point where I could configure and build DSM loader.  The newly built loader boots up properly and reflects the desired model in Web Assistant.  But it cannot detect the HDDs, though it can detect the SATA controller.  Based on my observation, the OEM loader (at least on my DS412+) had to send a command to the motherboard to turn on the HDDs.  3rd-party loaders (such as TCRP/Arc) doesn't have this command so the HDDs remain "powered off" and couldn't be detected.  If someone can figure out the command and integrate it into the 3rd-party loaders, the answer to your question will be "Yes".

I hope this helps!

Edited by Helloguys