XPEnology Community

716+II to Proxmox, HDD Usage

Jolle

Hope this one won't have a lot of pointing fingers at me (total noob).

I'm about to abandon my good old 716+II (because if an old kernel which prevents me from running a few dockers).

Long story short: I have HP Elitedesk G4 800 here collecting dust. And a spare 500gb M2.

So the idea is to install Proxmox, and the Xpenology on the M2.

Question: any easy way to use the 2 HDDs from the 716? With all config/container etc.?

Any headsup would be greatly appreciated.

• 3 weeks later...

booting the hypervisor form m.2 is the right way but you misunderstand the way how dsm/xpenology is booting and where the system is loaded from

short: boot hypervisor from m.2 and pass through the onboard sata controller to the dsm vm (both old disks connected to that controller - or use a added controller and pass that one trough), use howto section to find out how to configure proxmox with dsm vm to use the boot loader (arc, tcrp, ...)

the loader for ypenology is the replacement for the usb dom module of a original system, it just loads grub loader the kernel file and a few basic kernel modules to get access to network and the disks (its just a few hundred megabyte over all)

the dsm operatind system is a raid1 partitons going over all disks in the system (except cache drives)

so your DSM operating system in on your two disks and when using the newer xpenology loader its like having a new/updates usb dom with a new kernel

dsm's boot loader ("with red pill help") will come up and see disks with a older dsm operating system, cant boot into that as the kernel from the (fake) usb dom does not match the stuff on disk = upgrade of dsm on disk needed - its the same process as in synology's knowledge base description so you can look up on that process and ther is even al list from source to destinatioen (DSM versions and dsm hardware from->to), using xpenology gives you more flexibility in case of from what source hardware to new xpenology "hardware" (aka dsm hardware type choosen in xpenology red pill loader)

its a drive migration scenarion when using drives from old system in a newer one

https://kb.synology.com/en-global/DSM/tutorial/How_to_migrate_between_Synology_NAS_DSM_6_0_HDD