XPEnology Community

Replacing failing hard disk

Robiwan

Hi,

I am a complete newbie when it comes to XPenology, but have some experience with an actual Synology NAS (DS418Play) and have had some disk fail on me and replaced them in the Synology NAS, which works fine and is very simple. However, I am contemplating setting up a DSM on Proxmox in the near future and I was wondering how to replace a failing hard drive, as they need to be manually passed through to the VM. I assume that replacing a failing hard disk is possible, otherwise using this DSM software on Proxmox does not make much sense.

Any information on if this is possible and how, would really help me in deciding if I want to go this route and install XPenology on my Proxmox server.

• 1 month later...

passing through a controller prevents this, i dont use proxmox but and it might depend on the mode you pass a disk into a vm, if its just a sector lba pass through then there will be a problem like that but if its more a device based feature there might be some way to differ the disks on dsm's command line even when the dsm gui does not show any differences

its also possible in raw lba to pass a different amount of blocks for every disk like 1.000.001 for disk one, 1.000.002 for disk2 two, ... you just loose e a few blocks per disks and the raid will be created matching the smallest disk

still easiest way is to pass through the controller (cant be the controller you used to boot int the hypervisor), and if you have a 6-8 port onboard just use m.2 to boot into hypervisor or buy a cheap 2 port controller and boot the hypervisor from that and pass through the the now free onboard controller

Edited by IG-88