XPEnology Community

how to update arc loader and synology

Hello all,

I have barematel old machine. and I installed proxmox 8.0.4 on that.

I have installed arc boot loader 23.10.1 and I install synology on that RS4021xs+ with 7.2.1-69057

Today I got update notification on synology 7.2.1-69057 Update 1

and as I check arc there is new version as well 23.10.3a

So, my questions are;

- What are the steps to update arc boot loader

- What are the steps to update synology

- Should I update first arc boot loader, and then synology update ?

I will be very happy if someone can explain to me step by step for dummy :) which is I am :))

Thanks a lot !

Devrimer

5 hours ago, nexuscan said:

Hello all,

I have barematel old machine. and I installed proxmox 8.0.4 on that.

I have installed arc boot loader 23.10.1 and I install synology on that RS4021xs+ with 7.2.1-69057

Today I got update notification on synology 7.2.1-69057 Update 1

and as I check arc there is new version as well 23.10.3a

So, my questions are;

- What are the steps to update arc boot loader

- What are the steps to update synology

- Should I update first arc boot loader, and then synology update ?

I will be very happy if someone can explain to me step by step for dummy :) which is I am :))

Thanks a lot !

Devrimer

- Update arc boot loader, read wiki for arc

DSM Update

You can Update to every new Version of DSM until the Major-/Minor/Smallfix will not change, without Loader Update. Ex.: 7.1 -> 7.1.1 or 7.2 -> 7.2 Update 3 but not 7.2 to 7.2.1 (This need a Loaderupdate, too.) 

Note: All build later than 23.10.1b will have livepatching - If a new DSM Version is found and your Loader doesn’t support this, the Loader will try to get latest source from Github. If there is no Update at this time, you only have to wait for the new files and boot again.

- Update DSM, read synology documentation.

You can download the .pat update file from Synology Download Center and update DSM manually.

To update DSM manually:

Visit Synology Download Center to download new DSM update to your local computer. The .pat file does not need to be extracted.

Click Manual DSM Update to enter Manual DSM Update Page

Click Browse to select the update file.

Click OK to start to update your DSM. The system will reboot automatically when the update completes.

- Your hack, only can be update when you have compatibility loader for this version, for example, arc loader 23.9.10 or higher add support for DSM 7.2.1.

• Thanks 1

Thank you apriliars3,

So, first first step; I should check current released version of arc boot loader version and this version add which synology version support.

After that if it is support latest update of synology then I should update first arc boot loader?

After that I should update synology server.

Am I right ?

if yes;

should I make arc bootloader backup before update it ?

if yes;

what is the backup process of arc bootloader, is there step by step guide ? Because I really don't know.

and after update of arc bootloader, should I update synology manually or I can just click update button on synology update section ?

thanks a lot, really! :))

Thank you apriliars3,

So, first first step; I should check current released version of arc boot loader version and this version add which synology version support.
After that if it is support latest update of synology then I should update first arc boot loader?
After that I should update synology server.

Am I right ?
if yes;
should I make arc bootloader backup before update it ?
if yes;
what is the backup process of arc bootloader, is there step by step guide ? Because I really don't know.

and after update of arc bootloader, should I update synology manually or I can just click update button on synology update section ?

thanks a lot, really! :))

Since Arc 23.10.1b update.

- If you have DSM 7.1 with Arc, you can update to DSM 7.1.1.

- If you have DSM 7.2 with Arc, you can update to DSM 7.2.1.

Backup of Arc bootloader only if you need to upgrade loader is necessary. If you haven’t backup, only you need change your s/n and mac manually and configure a fresh loader from 0. Two minutes lost.