XPEnology Community

New build, synology migration and sanity check

Kashiro

Hi everyone,

I'm planning on moving away from my current synology unit to a new (first time) xpenology build.

Current setup:

RS2418RP+ DSM 7.1.1

12x 8TB HDD in SHR1

Planned setup:

Intel i3-12100T

Asus Prime Z690-A

32GB DDR4 3200Mhz

3x or 4x M.2 NVME drive (tbd)

12x 8TB HDD 

Inter-Tech IPC 2U-2412 (12x hotswap bays with sata/sas backplane)

LSI SAS9300-16i HBA in IT mode (non-raid)

Mellanox ConnectX-4 Dual Port 25Gbe (MCX4121A-ACAT)

So I've been doing some reading around the forums about which platform to use and it seems DS3622xs+ is most suitable, please correct me if I'm wrong though. I'm not looking to use the iGPU at all, so no support needed for that.

I have a couple of questions:

1. Is the LSI HBA supported?

2. Is the Mellanox NIC supported?

3. Can I migrate my existing SHR1 array without formatting? I'm reading that SHR isn't enabled/supported on newer models by default?

4. Can I use the M.2 NVME drives to create a new volume? Not looking to use these for caching but planning to create an all-flash volume as datastore for vmware. 

5. I'll soon be running into the 108TB volume limit with this array. Any way to convert to 200TB without formatting? Synology says that you have to recreate the volume, but maybe there's some magic that can be done with Xpenology?

Please let me know if I've missed anything obvious. Thanks in advance!

Hi Kashiro,

sorry, I'm not much help but can advise that my Xpenology DS3622XS+ is running with HBA (LSI SAS9300-8i HBA in IT mode (non-raid)) plus a second LSI SAS9300-8i incorporated in the Supermicro M'rd X11SSL-CF.  My son used Redpill to create the loader so I can't provide all details. System is currently on DSM 7.2-64570 Update 3.

System is running with 16 x 16TB HDDs, 8 on each HBA. A separate volume is on each HBA.

CPU is Xeon E3-1245v6.  Not using any SATA ports on the M'brd.  System mainly used as a Plex server.

Edited by Rhubarb
additional info