XPEnology Community

Media playback when using Jellyfin transcoding not working

I am having problems with media playback when using Jellyfin on Synology DSM 7.2. I get a "Playback Error: This client isn't compatible with the media and the server isn't sending a compatible media format." It seems to be something with the transcoding. If I turn off transcoding then my media will play. Previously, I did not have this problem. I was able to play with transcoding turned on, so I don't know what changed. Can anyone help me with this?

В 26.08.2023 в 02:29, MrEze сказал:

I am having problems with media playback when using Jellyfin on Synology DSM 7.2. I get a "Playback Error: This client isn't compatible with the media and the server isn't sending a compatible media format." It seems to be something with the transcoding. If I turn off transcoding then my media will play. Previously, I did not have this problem. I was able to play with transcoding turned on, so I don't know what changed. Can anyone help me with this?

most likely, hw-transcoding is not working for you for some reason. try to check via SSH:

ls /dev/dri 
you should get: "card0  renderD128"

what are you using: DSM model and version, CPU/GPU?

When I try to check using ssh  ls /dev/dri, it says "no such file or directory". So not sure how to do this.

I am using DSM 7.2-64570, CPU is AMD Ryzen 5700X and GPU is Nvidia T400.

Edited by MrEze

Ok, I think I discovered part of the problem. The script I am using doesn't pass in --device to the docker container, so it can't transcode using HW acceleration. However when I add --device, I get an error saying that "Container Manager API has failed", and "Error gathering device information while adding custom device "/dev/dri/renderD128" no such file or directory".

Here is the script I am using, but doesn't work because there is no /dev/dri directory on my system.

docker run -d --name=jellyfin \
-v /volume1/docker/jellyfin/config:/config \
-v /volume1/docker/jellyfin/cache:/cache \
-v /volume1/MEDIA:/media \
--user 1026:100 \
--net=host \
--restart=unless-stopped \
--device /dev/dri/renderD128:/dev/dri/renderD128 \
--device /dev/dri/card0:/dev/dri/card0 \
jellyfin/jellyfin:latest

If I remove the two "--device " then it will work without transcoding.
I am using the DS923+ which I thought was able to transcode 4kstreams. Does anyone know how to fix this?

Edited by MrEze

В 28.08.2023 в 12:57, MrEze сказал:

When I try to check using ssh  ls /dev/dri, it says "no such file or directory". So not sure how to do this.

I am using DSM 7.2-64570, CPU is AMD Ryzen 5700X and GPU is Nvidia T400.

I don't think DS923+ can work with discrete graphics cards

2 hours ago, dj_nsk said:

I don't think DS923+ can work with discrete graphics cards

I made a mistake it is the DS920+, but I also tried using the DS1520+ and I get the same issue. Not sure if it has something to do with the loader I was using (tinycore-redpill.v0.9.5.0.m-shell.img). I had to use this loader because it was the only one that would install the DSM on my computer. I tried using arc-23.8.30.img and arpl-i18n-23.8.11.img, but neither of them would install the DSM.

Edited by MrEze

• 2 months later...