XPEnology Community

NAS stops responding after a while -- DVA1622 - GA-Z77-DS3H - Atheros AR8161 Gigabit Ethernet

PREngineer

Question

Hi XPEnologers!

I migrated my NAS to a new hardware.  I am having an issue that I can't figure out.  I'm looking for insight.

I configured it as a DVA1622 because I need the 8 free camera licenses for Surveillance Station.

My NAS starts up and works normally.  The problem that I am having is that, after some hours, it seems to freeze and it doesn't respond from the USB keyboard or from the network.  I can see the user interface in the monitor plugged into the NAS (see image below) but it doesn't respond.

I have to literally shut it down (power button) and power it on again and then it starts working normally.

I disabled Hard Disk sleep, thinking it could be something related, but it didn't help. 

I am not sure if I have a hardware problem or if this is somehow related to XPEnology.

IMG_2868.thumb.jpeg.bd3e93ab2fe1073769609b0b0b746182.jpeg

---

New hardware is:

image.thumb.png.71a4d6e47f55918be34f98c5f993567b.png

Motherboard: Gigabyte Z77-DS3H

CPU: Intel i7-3770K 3.5GHz (4 Core | 8 Thread) 8MB 77W LGA1155 CPU

RAM: 32 GB Corsair Pro (4x 8GB) DDR3 1600MHz CL9 PC3-12800U

PSU: Thermaltake Smart 700W

LAN: Atheros AR8161 Gigabit Ethernet

---

14 answers to this question

Found several problems...

1. Bad Drives

2 out of my 12 drives are bad, one reported as failing and the other as critical.  I was attempting to do Extended SMART checks on them to validate and it would cause the system to freeze after checking some specific areas of the disks.

Pulled out the 2 disks.  Created a new Storage Pool with only the good drives and performance improved.

2. RSYNC from old NAS on application folder like Docker, PLEX, Surveillance Station.  Should not be done!

Noticed that if I RSYNCED the folder for any application installed from the Package Center (Docker, Surveillance Station, Plex) from the old NAS into the new one and then tried to run the application, it would not run and it would cause freezes.

Edited by PREngineer

Well... turns out that it continued freezing.

I am running the machine with Windows to see if it continues to freeze or if it is somehow related to my DSM 7.1 install.

I am thinking about switching from DVA1622 to DS3617XS+ to see if it does any better.

Will keep updating this thread.

I have the same problem as you. I'm trying a fresh install with a new HDD

With the previous disk doing a s.m.a.r.t test at 10H it froze. the disk is good because I tried it on more computers

Tomorrow I will try to give more information. I am sorry for my bad english

• Like 1

4 hours ago, bermu said:

Simplemente falló de nuevo.
Nueva hd y nueva instalación

Todo el hardware funciona perfectamente con Windows. pero en synology suele fallarme por la noche (creo que el sistema está congelado, el router no indica la ip, no puedo acceder por ssh ni por ningún otro sitio hasta que reinicie el sistema). Estoy haciendo pruebas y daré más información.

PD:I Tengo que comprobar si Plex da algún problema

PD2: En este momento, acabo de montar el segundo servidor para probarlo con otro hardware. El primer servidor ha estado probando S.M.A.R.T (30%) durante 5 horas. aún no ha fallado Segundo servidor Instalación y comenzará a probar

Server 1 image.thumb.png.4584a243e552c7cccd42f6d376603368.png

Server 2image.thumb.png.354782ac8767828fec828b56804d5f70.png

Edited by bermu

Well... I've been testing today and I've got some updates.  I'm going to be making those at the top of the thread.  Thinking maybe about making it a full thread on how to set it up on this hardware that I have.

Great... it looks like I cannot edit since I "answered" my post.  This thread cannot be deleted, so I will continue documenting the setup for this hardware here.

Edited by PREngineer

Hi April, please check the link in post #8 as I decided to continue over there.

With my hardware, it has been working fine (baremetal) since I changed ARPL to use DS1621+.  I am still continuing to monitor it, but no freezes yet.

I don't know why you got freezes while it was virtualized.  I never had issues when it was running in ESXi as DVA1622.

Updates, I think that I found what the problem was.

I had an array of 8x2TB drives in my Storage Pool.  I bought 2x16TB drives and I tried to add them to my pool.

Apparently, having Docker + Plex + Surveillance Station running while doing that, messes up the process and that's why it freezes as it is trying to write new things to the pool while it is expanding it.

It was a pain in the butt because it would freeze very fast and wouldn't let me disable the packages.

I managed to disable them using the CLI immediately after booting (had to do it several times after several reboots).  But once I saw that the packages, especially DOCKER (since containers had the auto-start enabled, which restarted Docker after I stopped it), were stopped, it didn't freeze up on me anymore.  Hopefully it is able to add the new disks without issues and freezes.

Commands used:

-----------

sudo synopkg stop Docker

OR new version

sudo synopkgctl stop Docker

---------------

OR run as root (for better results):

-----------

sudo su -

synopkg stop Docker

OR new version

sudo su -

synopkgctl disable Docker

-----------

I will update on the result.

image.thumb.png.5f2e260540ff7d5b4c69c2baf3dab8d0.pngimage.png.df9a82cad7211e8b75ff814194f854d7.png

Edited by PREngineer

Well.....  On today's episode of "Being a dumbass"...

Turns out that the CPU heatsink didn't sit properly and the CPU was overheating.  That was the reason for the freezes.  I noticed when I decided to give Unraid a try to see if it performed better and I saw better temperature details than Synology provides.

Hopefully somebody learns from this stupid mistake I made.