XPEnology Community

Getting ready to install Xpenology on a ASRock J5040, tips before/after?

PerryMason23

Hi!

I've been reading this forum for a few days and it's great! I wanted to get/build a SFF and try to install Xpenology on it but as it will be my first try I wanted to start slowly. I've bought an ASRock J5040, 8 GB RAM, a PC case with a 150 W PSU and I will use a 2 TB SSD I already had. I'll receive all the parts this week.

The main purpose is to run Synology Photos, and I wanted to know if I could get some tips to get it up and running without problems. My idea was to try and install DSM 7.1 (I think 7.2 is available through updates). I've seen this tutorial but I'm a little confused with the different loaders and platforms. Considering the J5040 has a Pentium Silver J5040 (Gemini Lake Refresh) I guess the option 2a from the table (DS920+) would be the most suitable? I think I'll  have to set up some preferences on the BIOS from what I've seen on some threads, but If someone could help me with this that would be awesome.

Also, I wonder if there are any additional tips to take into account before doing the installationg. I have another doubt: would it be useful to buy a PCIe adapter to use a M.2 SSD as a cache for my purpose (Photo storage)? I guess the power consumption won't be high —most of the time the machine will be pretty idle— so I guess fans won't be necessary for this build (the case hasn't any included).

Who knows... this could be the beginning of something bigger ;)

Hi all

Everything is working really well :) I received all the parts yesterday, so I put them in the PC case and prepared the TCRP. I was just testing if I could build the image for the DS923+ (with DSM 7.1.1-42962 Update 2) as it is newer, and everything worked flawlessly so I think I'll stay with that.

I'm running Synology
Photos, and after transferring all the personal photos and videos (130k+) from an external HD, it's now creating thumbnails. At its current rate, I guess it will take a couple of days to finish, but I'm really happy with the result.

I have one question, though. I've installed that DSM version with TCRP, but... how can I update to DSM 7.2? I haven't found any clear tutorial about this (my fault, probably).

Thanks!

1 час назад, PerryMason23 сказал:

Hi all

Everything is working really well :) I received all the parts yesterday, so I put them in the PC case and prepared the TCRP. I was just testing if I could build the image for the DS923+ (with DSM 7.1.1-42962 Update 2) as it is newer, and everything worked flawlessly so I think I'll stay with that.

I'm running Synology
Photos, and after transferring all the personal photos and videos (130k+) from an external HD, it's now creating thumbnails. At its current rate, I guess it will take a couple of days to finish, but I'm really happy with the result.

I have one question, though. I've installed that DSM version with TCRP, but... how can I update to DSM 7.2? I haven't found any clear tutorial about this (my fault, probably).

For ASRock J5040 - DS918+ is the best choice (not 923). You can now easily change the model and update the version using a simpler bootloader for beginners. At the same time you should also have the HW-transcoding option, which will allow you to process photos faster.

1) Download last release of bootloader Arc from here, write arc.img to the USB flash drive, start your NAS with this USB drive

2) Configure loader: DS918+, OK, build 64570, Yes, OK, OK, OK... OK (Boot Arc Loader now)

3) Check in Synology Assistant - find your DSM and connect, agree to the migration with the settings saved

4) Enjoy!

Thank you @dj_nsk :) It has worked!

Just one question: Synology Photos was creating thumbnails (and indexing, I think) all the photos and videos I had imported, and there was a top icon, some kind of wheel showing "work in progress" and it showed the task was around 30% complete. After upgrading to DSM 7.2 on the DS918+ there's no wheel/message of this kind of process running, and I wonder what do I have to do to make it run if it isn't (because there is no progress information). Synology Photos shows the indexed photos with their thumbnails and many others with a grey square. Is there something I can do?

Update: Forget it, it has resumed just now media indexation :)

Regards!

Captura de pantalla 2023-06-22 a las 17.03.58.jpg

Edited by PerryMason23

49 минут назад, PerryMason23 сказал:

Just one question: Synology Photos was creating thumbnails (and indexing, I think) all the photos and videos I had imported, and there was a top icon, some kind of wheel showing "work in progress" and it showed the task was around 30% complete. After upgrading to DSM 7.2 on the DS918+ there's no wheel/message of this kind of process running, and I wonder what do I have to do to make it run if it isn't (because there is no progress information). Synology Photos shows the indexed photos with their thumbnails and many others with a grey square. Is there something I can do?

1. Go to Package Center:

1.1. install Advanced Media Extensions

1.2. Add pakages source - http://packages.synocommunity.com

1.3. Install FFmpeg 4

2. Restart DSM to Arc loader - choose Configure loader, Addons - add [*] on amepatch, OK, Build loader, Boot. Check if Advanced Media Extensions is activated.

3. Go to Photos, to the upper-right corner and click the Account icon, select Personal or Shared Space - reindex. Wait... :)

[upd]: 1.-2. - for normal video works

Edited by dj_nsk

Maybe you could help me again @dj_nsk, some videos play in Synology Photos with no audio. I've downloaded to my desktop one that works (audio OK) and one that doesnt (no sound, but if I download I can hear the audio). The problem is the codec. I've used ffprobe this way:

ffprobe -v error -select_streams a:0 -show_entries stream=codec_name,channels,sample_rate -of default=noprint_wrappers=1 video-audio-no.mp4

codec_name=ac3
sample_rate=48000
channels=6

and the one that does play with audio:

ffprobe -v error -select_streams a:0 -show_entries stream=codec_name,channels,sample_rate -of default=noprint_wrappers=1 video-audio-yes.mp4

codec_name=aac
sample_rate=48000
channels=2

Can ac3 support be enabled? I've seen there are ffmpeg wrappers like this and that could work but maybe there's some addon in Arc that does the work.

Edited by PerryMason23

connect via SSH, run the command:

sudo cat /usr/syno/etc/codec/activation.conf

you should get something like this: {"success":true,"activated_codec":["mpeg4part2_dec","h264_dec","h264_enc","ac3_dec","hevc_dec","vc1_dec","vc1_enc"],"token":"......."}

[UPD]: Oh! Its is AAC (not AC3) - it seems that its support in the latest version of AME has been disabled. You can try to install and activate an older one - see, for example, here.

Edited by dj_nsk

Thanks for the quick reply. The message has been this:

{"success":true,"activated_codec":["h264_dec","h264_enc","ac3_dec","hevc_dec","mpeg4part2_dec","vc1_dec","vc1_enc"],"token":"847692f54fb52e35945db923b40137d5"}

But still no difference, the videos that didn't have audio on Synology Photos keep being muted. Do I have to restart my NAS? Or maybe it's a ffmpeg4 problem (it was strange installing this version when ffmpeg5/6 are also available as Synocommunity packages).

I've just seen this post in the Xpenology Forum that mentions that there's a previous task:

I had the same problem, you have to activate them:

https://github.com/dmc31a42/synocodectool-patch

Run the following commands:

wget https://raw.githubusercontent.com/dmc31a42/synocodectool-patch/master/patch.sh

chmod +x patch.sh

sudo ./patch.sh -p

Do I have to apply that patch?

Edited by PerryMason23

• 1 month later...
On 6/22/2023 at 3:24 PM, dj_nsk said:

For ASRock J5040 - DS918+ is the best choice (not 923). You can now easily change the model and update the version using a simpler bootloader for beginners. At the same time you should also have the HW-transcoding option, which will allow you to process photos faster.

1) Download last release of bootloader Arc from here, write arc.img to the USB flash drive, start your NAS with this USB drive

2) Configure loader: DS918+, OK, build 64570, Yes, OK, OK, OK... OK (Boot Arc Loader now)

3) Check in Synology Assistant - find your DSM and connect, agree to the migration with the settings saved

4) Enjoy!

Hi, one question. For J5040 is not more suitable to use DS920+ model instead DS918+ nowadays? I read last one is more compatible with several hardwares... Which is the difference? thanks!

4 минуты назад, dkni87 сказал:

Hi, one question. For J5040 is not more suitable to use DS920+ model instead DS918+ nowadays? I read last one is more compatible with several hardwares... Which is the difference? thanks!

there used to be more patches for 918 and it was easier to find valid SN/MAC. Now, if you use the latest versions of the Arc loader, you can also use 920. 

Both will work the same way. The only difference I noticed is that 920 understands working with NVME better (but there is also an addon in the bootloader for this).

• 6 months later...
On 8/9/2023 at 6:41 AM, dj_nsk said:

there used to be more patches for 918 and it was easier to find valid SN/MAC. Now, if you use the latest versions of the Arc loader, you can also use 920. 

Both will work the same way. The only difference I noticed is that 920 understands working with NVME better (but there is also an addon in the bootloader for this).

Will AME patch work with no IGPU on AMD?

Installing the latest ARC loader patch,   the thing says DONT INSTALL synocodectool When using Arc Patcher.

So what are you supposed to do if you have AMD CPU, NO IGPU, Want to use ARC Patcher AND Use this patch with SA6400?