XPEnology Community

Moving from TrueNas SCALE 3900XT+LSi HBA+NetApp DS4426+128GiB ECC RAM

BerryJP

Hi there!
I have been looking around the forums and some tutorial videos but would like to know if my hardware will work with XPEnology.

Ryzen 3900XT (12c24t)
128GiB ECC memory
LSi HBA (IT Mode)
NetApp DS4426 Disk Shelf (20x2TiB disks populated)

So far, it seems to me that the DS3622xs+ platform may work for me but I think I'm going to have to destroy my Truenas and ZFS pools to even try. I have plenty of backups but restoring takeas a long time. I don't want to do it if it is a pointless exercise. 

Just a nudge in the right direction or a big fat NOPE will be fine. I just don't know whether it is worth jumping down this rabbithole.

I want the NVR, Media Storage, Docker and VM Management of DSM. Truenas has always just been a PITA for me. I want something simple and pretty.

Can I go through the process, booting from USB and get to a point where I will know if it is going to work without killing my current TN installation?

I can follow tutorials ok but I'm a preschool principle, not a software engineer. Please be gentle😂.

I'm no software engineer either, but I bet if you have a couple extra disks laying around you could run through the tutorial here:  

If you can successfully boot from the bootloader and it sees your "test" disks...  you can be pretty confident it will recognize your production disks also (might have to start over and build another loader after installing all your disks.   That said, you will probably have to start over with new Synology volume(s) and restore you backup(s).  Also, I believe the 3622xs+ has a max disk capacity of 12.  I could be wrong.

• 1 month later...

Same here. I am moving away from Truenas Scale. I need something more user friendly and more intuitive. If you are very savy Truenas is the way to go because of its power, but for a person like me that dont want to spend countless hours reading and watching videos to learn how to do things, its best to use a platform that already have everything that I need.

On 5/3/2023 at 1:33 PM, Badger said:

I'm no software engineer either, but I bet if you have a couple extra disks laying around you could run through the tutorial here:  

If you can successfully boot from the bootloader and it sees your "test" disks...  you can be pretty confident it will recognize your production disks also (might have to start over and build another loader after installing all your disks.   That said, you will probably have to start over with new Synology volume(s) and restore you backup(s).  Also, I believe the 3622xs+ has a max disk capacity of 12.  I could be wrong.

You should look at the right information. The 3622xs can go up to 36 disks.
https://www.synology.com/en-br/products/DS3622xs+#specs

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Joewydiart said:

Same here. I am moving away from Truenas Scale. I need something more user friendly and more intuitive. If you are very savy Truenas is the way to go because of its power, but for a person like me that dont want to spend countless hours reading and watching videos to learn how to do things, its best to use a platform that already have everything that I need.

BINGO!  Couldn't have said it better myself.  I tried them all the worthy ones (OpenFiler, OMV, Rockstore), DSM is largely the goldilocks of the various options, especially for home/non-enterprise users/setup.  If you're über-geek and like twiddling every pusillanimous settings, nested deeper and deeper and deeper, TrueNAS is the way to go, but DSM will be largely effortless and "it just works".  The various developers here have worked epic magic, in the support for such a great diversity of hardware and even various model options, making the initial setup/configuration to first boot a veritable joy to use.  

You can see here, the models supported at the time this link was written.  The number of supported model has since increased... I think once you go DSM, you'll never look back!

• Like 1

Question. I can't get pass IP login once I create the loader. I tried so far Arc arpl, arpl beta latest. Arpl latest. And always get stuck at the same step. The loader seems to be created fine, no error highlights. I do the reboot, I get the IP and can't login using the IP and can't find my nas using find.synology.com 

Interesting thing is that my router reports a different IP address and not the one I'm getting from the loader. I tried both and nothing happens. Any ideas? 

6 hours ago, Joewydiart said:

Question. I can't get pass IP login once I create the loader. I tried so far Arc arpl, arpl beta latest. Arpl latest. And always get stuck at the same step. The loader seems to be created fine, no error highlights. I do the reboot, I get the IP and can't login using the IP and can't find my nas using find.synology.com 

Interesting thing is that my router reports a different IP address and not the one I'm getting from the loader. I tried both and nothing happens. Any ideas? 

Try this loader. https://github.com/PeterSuh-Q3/tinycore-redpill  Peter has made it virtually turn-key.  I can't guarantee with your hardware, but erasing your USB fully, and create with his.  As has been suggested, the 3622 model is the most stable and generally trouble free, with his M-Shell & Friend functionality, it queries the hardware and loads all of the appropriate driver modules, he's made it super simple, in general, for doing updates as newer DSM versions are release, but it's best to not jump on them right away, give a little time for others to confirm no show-stopping hiccups.

What NIC(s) does your motherboard have?

I know I posted and bailed on this thread but there is some really useful info here, now. Thanks all.

I'm super busy at work and nervous about trying this and destroying everything so I'm going to give it a go on my holidays in August.

I'll report back with success or failure but TrueNAS keeps faffing up my SAS enclosure so I'm itching to move away from it. At this point, I'm tempted to just import the pool into a fresh Ubuntu install and using Docker for everything.

13 hours ago, gericb said:

Try this loader. https://github.com/PeterSuh-Q3/tinycore-redpill  Peter has made it virtually turn-key.  I can't guarantee with your hardware, but erasing your USB fully, and create with his.  As has been suggested, the 3622 model is the most stable and generally trouble free, with his M-Shell & Friend functionality, it queries the hardware and loads all of the appropriate driver modules, he's made it super simple, in general, for doing updates as newer DSM versions are release, but it's best to not jump on them right away, give a little time for others to confirm no show-stopping hiccups.

What NIC(s) does your motherboard have?

Well I can tell you right now that it's working. I tried the tiny core you told me and so far it's been the only one that manage to really work. 

I can't thank you enough. 

I am trying DS3622xs DSM7.2

• Like 1

On 7/7/2023 at 5:41 PM, Joewydiart said:

One thing I noticed is that my NIC its recognize as a 2.5gbits as it should, but my actual speeds are less than 1gbits. My switch is able to detect the NIC as a 2.5. Any ideas?

Now that you are generally up and running, time for you to move your thoughts/questions/concerns/troubles over to the correct thread, where you can get more of the collective support.  Create a new posting there, indicating your hardware platform, and the version of DSM you've installed, what model (i.e. 3622), using what loader and then finally, the problem you are having, answers/resolutions will follow. 😎👍🏻

Edited by gericb