XPEnology Community

55% file corruption message occurs during DSM installation (memory failure)

Peter Suh

We have confirmed a case where a 55% file corruption message occurs during DSM installation if there is a memory problem.

Recently, a user in Korea reported a situation where a 55% file corruption message occurred while installing DSM, even though there was nothing special about it.

/dev/synoboot, /dev/synoboot1, /dev/synoboot2, /dev/synoboot3
The partitions are mounted normally.

All modules were also normally loaded.

When the memory problem was not identified,
I thought it was a compatibility issue with the MSI H110i Pro's nuvoton nct5563 sata controller.

Errors in memory don't happen often, but I think we should remember that it's an issue to consider when it comes to this problem.

654533158_2023-04-1910_44_20.png.4e6808106408a1fefb6dda2957b1d8fd.png

39949c0892eb92da0e2e40238f2ca12e.thumb.jpg.114135b2a2c04762ea49b6e9d636599b.jpg

Assemble args: -u 32945c29:2c97ae24:05d949f7:b0bbaec7 /dev/sata1p1
mdadm: /dev/md0 has been started with 1 drive (out of 16).
Partition Version=9
mount: mounting /dev/md0 on /abb_root_mount failed: Invalid argument
root: Failed to mount /dev/md0 on /abb_root_mount
umount: can't unmount /abb_root_mount: Invalid argument
/sbin/e2fsck exists, checking /dev/md0...
e2fsck 1.44.1 (24-Mar-2018)
[QUOTA WARNING] Usage inconsistent for ID 0:actual (375758848, 83) != expected (4096, 1)
/sbin/e2fsck -yvf returns 1
Mounting /dev/md0 /tmpRoot
sh: /tmpRoot/lost+found/#393217: unknown operand
------------bootup-smallupdate
Failed to AssertDirectory[/tmpRoot/etc.defaults/]
Skip bootup smallupdate, because root is not matched to junior
============bootup-smallupdate
Missing directory /etc. Copy from /etc.defaults...
cp: can't stat '/tmpRoot/etc.defaults': No such file or directory
Exit on error [255] prepare /etc failed...
Sun Apr 16 12:12:36 UTC 2023
/dev/md0 /tmpRoot ext4 rw,relatime,prjquota,rootprjquota,data=ordered 0 0
none /sys/kernel/debug debugfs rw,relatime 0 0

Edited by Peter Suh
  • Like 2

• 1 month later...

Hello @Peter Suh... just found this singular thread you wrote, which is similar in general nature to something I just recently ran into myself.

I have been running a Dell Optiplex 7010 with 8GB RAM, RAID1 2x8GB WD Red Drives for 4+ years on DSM 6.x (3615xs) with Jun's older boot loader.  Thanks to your input, I made the jump and leap of faith to DSM 7.1.x using your excellent M-Shell w/Friend (0.9.4.3-2) to 3622xs, with real SN/MAC's.  It went effortlessly and smoothly - THANK YOU!  Just recently, using the same 8GB USB successfully upgraded the 3622xs to 7.2-64561 no issues, running flawlessly. 🤠

I have been wanting to utilize the HW Transcoding for a while now.  I took a new 8GB USB and your M-Shell w/Friend (0.9.4.3-2), did a test baremetal install on a Dell Precision  3630 and 920+ image, also 2x12GB, configured, booted and loaded DSM without any issue, as a build test.

Having the success above on the Precision, I completely erase the 8GB USB, re-installed a fresh copy of your M-Shell w/Friend (0.9.4.3-2).  I shutdown the Optiplex 7010, removed its current USB and put it aside, for obvious reasons.  I put the newly created 8GB USB into the Optiplex 7010 and went through the whole build process for the 920+ also using real SN/MAC's, built fine.  System boots up fine, I get the whole Welcome/Migration screen, I have moments earlier, downloaded the 920+ 7.2-64561 PAT file to my laptop, pointed to the downloaded file....it just like your above thread, it dies at 55%.  I even re-tried the whole process and letting it download from Synology, still fails.  I thought it might be the fact I am using Safari (which has never been a problem before), so I tried with Chrome, still fails.

Given that DSM 6.x installed, has been running fine...DSM 7.1.x installed and has been running, upgraded to 7.2.x and running fine... I feel like it's unlikely in my situation to be a memory problem, but sure it could be.

I am more than happy to get you any logs or info, if I know what/where/how to get it for you...

Any ideas on a resolution?

Curious, other than this instance, I have had no issues with the 920+ testing, I could not find anything indicting why it was in the "restricted model" section. 🤔

Thank you for the long hard fought hours, creativity and amazing productivity in what you made possible, truly APPRECIATED!

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.PNG

4.png

5.png

6.png

7.png

3.PNG

1 hour ago, gericb said:

Hello @Peter Suh... just found this singular thread you wrote, which is similar in general nature to something I just recently ran into myself.

I have been running a Dell Optiplex 7010 with 8GB RAM, RAID1 2x8GB WD Red Drives for 4+ years on DSM 6.x (3615xs) with Jun's older boot loader.  Thanks to your input, I made the jump and leap of faith to DSM 7.1.x using your excellent M-Shell w/Friend (0.9.4.3-2) to 3622xs, with real SN/MAC's.  It went effortlessly and smoothly - THANK YOU!  Just recently, using the same 8GB USB successfully upgraded the 3622xs to 7.2-64561 no issues, running flawlessly. 🤠

I have been wanting to utilize the HW Transcoding for a while now.  I took a new 8GB USB and your M-Shell w/Friend (0.9.4.3-2), did a test baremetal install on a Dell Precision  3630 and 920+ image, also 2x12GB, configured, booted and loaded DSM without any issue, as a build test.

Having the success above on the Precision, I completely erase the 8GB USB, re-installed a fresh copy of your M-Shell w/Friend (0.9.4.3-2).  I shutdown the Optiplex 7010, removed its current USB and put it aside, for obvious reasons.  I put the newly created 8GB USB into the Optiplex 7010 and went through the whole build process for the 920+ also using real SN/MAC's, built fine.  System boots up fine, I get the whole Welcome/Migration screen, I have moments earlier, downloaded the 920+ 7.2-64561 PAT file to my laptop, pointed to the downloaded file....it just like your above thread, it dies at 55%.  I even re-tried the whole process and letting it download from Synology, still fails.  I thought it might be the fact I am using Safari (which has never been a problem before), so I tried with Chrome, still fails.

Given that DSM 6.x installed, has been running fine...DSM 7.1.x installed and has been running, upgraded to 7.2.x and running fine... I feel like it's unlikely in my situation to be a memory problem, but sure it could be.

I am more than happy to get you any logs or info, if I know what/where/how to get it for you...

Any ideas on a resolution?

Curious, other than this instance, I have had no issues with the 920+ testing, I could not find anything indicting why it was in the "restricted model" section. 🤔

Thank you for the long hard fought hours, creativity and amazing productivity in what you made possible, truly APPRECIATED!

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.PNG

4.png

5.png

6.png

7.png

3.PNG

Your Optiplex 7010 appears to be using an Intel 3rd Gen i7-3770.
The limitations of the DS920+ have already been explained in the first capture provided above. It says that Intel 4th Gen Haswell or later is required.
That's why this part goes into the limited model.

In the past, by chance, I had successfully installed the 3rd generation Intel DS920+, but it was an unusual case and could not be stabilized.
It's too risky to force Intel 3rd GEN to try.

It seems more likely that it has nothing to do with memory failure.
If necessary, please perform a self-memory test.

In the 3rd generation of Intel, transcoding is impossible.

Edited by Peter Suh

21 hours ago, Peter Suh said:

Your Optiplex 7010 appears to be using an Intel 3rd Gen i7-3770.
The limitations of the DS920+ have already been explained in the first capture provided above. It says that Intel 4th Gen Haswell or later is required.
That's why this part goes into the limited model.

In the past, by chance, I had successfully installed the 3rd generation Intel DS920+, but it was an unusual case and could not be stabilized.
It's too risky to force Intel 3rd GEN to try.

It seems more likely that it has nothing to do with memory failure.
If necessary, please perform a self-memory test.

In the 3rd generation of Intel, transcoding is impossible.

You are absolutely correct!  We didn't even think to check this, DOH - so simple! For some reason, one of our team members thought it was a later generation.  Thanks for your eagle eyes and fast response, sorry to have even bothered you for it, apologies.