XPEnology Community

Installing DSM 6.2.4 with RedPill Loader

Hello there, I would like to downgrade from version 7.1 to DSM 6.2.4. Previously, I had version 6, but I don't remember which one exactly, installed using Jun's method.

Can you tell me if I can achieve version 6.2.4 using RedPill TinyCore and which platform to choose? Currently, I have DS3615xs. Is this the correct platform for this motherboard, or would it be better to use 918+ or another one?

For version DSM 6.2.4, is it recommended to use RedPill Loader, and which version should I use? Or is it better to use Jun's method, and which version would be appropriate, though this would result in DSM 6.2.3, if I'm not mistaken. In the BIOS, I have set it to support UEFI, and it is enabled if that is relevant.

Why do I want to go back to the previous version? The processor is much more overloaded, and version DSM 6 worked much better for me.

Below is the motherboard specification. Thank you for your help, and best regards.

Specification
Brand

Intel

Cpu Socket

Socket 437

Compatible Devices

Personal Computer

RAM Memory Technology

DDR2 800;DDR2 667 (installed 2GB)

Compatible Processors

Intel Atom

Chipset Type

Intel NM10 Express

On 4/13/2023 at 6:35 PM, scorpion_1982 said:

I had version 6, but I don't remember which one exactly, installed using Jun's method.

up to 6.2.3 update3 with jun's loader (6.2.3 = 25426)

Can you tell me if I can achieve version 6.2.4 using RedPill TinyCore and which platform to choose?

in theory redpill loaders should be able to use 6.2.4 up to the recent update level

there where changes in kernel that did not work with jun's loader anymore prevention parts of his code to load

I have DS3615xs. Is this the correct platform for this motherboard, or would it be better to use 918+ or another one?

with that old  cpu only 3615 or 3617 are possible, not mach difference between these two

https://xpenology.com/forum/topic/13333-tutorialreference-6x-loaders-and-platforms/

, I have set it to support UEFI, and it is enabled if that is relevant.

it different then that, you bios is uefi and you can enable CSM mode for older BIOS compatibility, if you disable CSM it will be uefi only

CSM is a option so even when CSM is enabled you could use UEFI mode to boot, in that scenario you usually see the usb boot device two times in boot selection as uefi und "normal" (without uefi in the name) - gets important if you have to use CSM as it was the case with dsm 6.2.x for 3615/3617 (-> link above)

you could use jun's laoder for up to 6.2.3.u3 (security updates up to ~12/2020)  or rp loader for 6.2.4 u6 (last update 5/2022)

i'd suggest trying rp loader and 6.2.4 as it comes with way more security fixes then 6.2.3

if you plan for 6.2.3 then you will at least need to download dsm, update and some spk file now, afaik synology plans to remove all older files 6.2.3 and downward (including old packages) on 01.05.2023

also 6.2.x has EOL 6/2023, no security updates for 6.2.4 after that

with 6.2.4 you might also not be able to update some of the packages to the latest version

Thanks @IG-88,

you explained a lot to me.

It would be great to install 6.2.4 Update-6.

I checked TinyCore RedPill Loader images from v0.9.2.6 to v0.9.4.3 and they no longer support 6.2.4, or maybe something needs to be added, but I can't find any information anywhere.

Perhaps I'm looking in the wrong place.

Do you know the best way to create an image for 6.2.4? Currently, there is no option to build or download an image for 6.2.4 in RP TC by default.

I don't know about older versions because I don't see them on git-hub

https://github.com/pocopico/tinycore-redpill/releases

Could you provide some information about which is the latest version of RP that supports the mentioned version? It's interesting that the Json files contain information about this version, but rploader.sh doesn't display it as an option to choose from. Where can I find older RP builds? For clarity, I didn't update any downloaded tools.

Could you please provide some guidance or tips?

Thank you.

Edited by scorpion_1982