XPEnology Community

XPEnology and DVAxxxx

badaboum

Question

Hi guys

First thank you all for your help and support into this project.

I have a runing DS3617xs version on my side and I am happy with it. Great tutorial out there (for a non IT guy at least like me :-) )

I want to replace my old DS115 (with my 5 camera licenses that I bought) with a much faster one and was wondering if there is a way to load a DVA version of the Synology system to take advantage of the 8 (or 16 ) camera supported by default ? (like that I do not need to add any extra license via the Syno license app)

This is for a home project, I do not need AI learning, just the usual Surveillance Station features

I have looked on the internet and found some traces of people doing it, but it's way above my pay grade. Maybe there is something easier that I have missed?

Thanks

8 answers to this question

On 11/26/2022 at 3:48 PM, badaboum said:

I have looked on the internet and found some traces of people doing it, but it's way above my pay grade. Maybe there is something easier that I have missed?

not better but there is a alternative if you set up your new system you can (as long ans the old unit with its cam licenses is in the network) share/borrow them to another system with Synology's Central Management System (cms)

https://www.synology.com/en-us/dsm/packages/CMS

it was suggested here (sorry you might nee to use google translate as its in the german section)

https://xpenology.com/forum/topic/34502-surveillance-station-lizenz/?do=findComment&comment=170511

the downside is that the old unit need to be online all the time (costs for power)

so if you build a new unit anyway you can try to use dva's image and when it fails you would still be able to fall back to the sharing solution

Hi
Well basicaly I have a DS115 with several licenses but the device is getting slow now (almost 8 years)

I have an I5 intel based computer laying around

My idea was to avoid to buy a new DVA or DS720, use the i5 based computer to install a DVA image to benefits from the defaut camera license that comes with it

it would be an upgrade without having to get the new hardware (when I have already bought the camera licenses from Synology for the DS115)

I would like to avoid using CMS because it's yet another system to keep runing for almost no reason :-)

Thanks / Danke

There is only 2 DVA available (3219 and 3221 is quite the same)

- DVA1622 : Can work on old CPU before haswell

- DVA3221 : Must have at least haswell CPU to make it run

In any case, if you have legit bought licences, you may just want to "unregister" them from your current DS115, then register them on the new loader running on your I5.

BUT, in order to make it works, you MUST have genuine SN/MAC pair matching the current running loader...

So you may not need especially a DVA ... as long as you can find a valid SN/MAC pair matching your need.

In other case, if you avoid using your genuine licences, you may go for a DVA loader with 8 licences integrated.

DVA1622 loader will search for integrated intel HD iGPU and will flood logs if you don't have one

DVA3221 loader will search for Nvidia GTX 1650 GPU and will flood logs if you don't have one

But it both case, you can still run Surveillance Station without AI advanced features.

Thanks for the feedback.

I am ok using DVA1622 or DVA3221 and their built in license as I do not use AI advanced features (i only have 5 licenses legit)

I was not able to find the image from the internet to load the DVA

https://xpenology.club/downloads/

Is there a link somewhere? (a few weeks ago I managed to install a DS3617xs using the link above to try to see if it was easy enough for me)

I might indeed invest then in some hardwarde

Thanks