XPEnology Community

Problem to install on HP Microserver GEN8 - 7.1-DS3622xs+-42661

ganatoci

I have a problem to install DSM 7.x with TinyCore RedPill (TCRP) Loader  on HP Microserver GEN8.

THE PROBLEM IS: WHEN I TRY TO UPLOAD THE PAT FILE THE SYSTEM SAYS "Failed to install the file. The file is probably corrupted"

I've successfully installed and booted my USB Keydrive and the Synology Assistant sees the device.

Device DS3622xs+ Architecture: broadwellnk-7.1.0-42661

I've followed this TUTORIAL with the command listed above:

1- Burned the tinycore-redpill.vX.X.X.img.gz on the USB key.

./rploader.sh update

./rploader.sh fullupgrade

./rploader.sh identifyusb

./rploader.sh serialgen DS3622xs+ realmac

./rploader.sh satamap
(FOUNDED 6 PORTS)

./rploader.sh build broadwellnk-7.1.0-42661

./rploader.sh backup

./rploader.sh backuploader

exitcheck.sh reboot

2- The Synology assitant sees the device and I connect succesfully to the webpage

PROBLEM:

Now when i try to install the PAT file it is displayed an error message saying: "Failed to install the file. The file is probably corrupted". I post some screenshot above:

Pcjndt9.png

LwQ16SO.png

Vvfd3AN.png

0xjoAvc.png

M68bNBm.png

Ive tried to change USB drive, architecture, download again the pat file but without success

Any suggenstion on how to solve the problem?

Thanks

where i can find the grub.conf file?

ive tried to look in the usb key but without success

Thanks

Read This

RedPill TinyCore Loader Installation Guide for DSM 7.1 BareMetal
https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink/topic?share_fid=107315&share_tid=60130&url=https://xpenology.com/forum/index.php?/topic/60130-RedPill-TinyCore-Loader-Installation-Guide-for-DSM-7%2E1-BareMetal&share_type=t&link_source=app

• 2 weeks later...

DS3622xs+ (broadwellnk) will run on any x86_64 architecture. Bromolow is for DS3615xs, which you shouldn’t be using anymore on redpill due to kernel panics. 

I’d recommend DS3622xs+ for baremetal or virtualised operation on a Gen8, as newer Synology platforms such DS918 and DS920 require more modern CPUs. 

The OP states s/he is using VMWARE. Mine is a bare metal Gen 8 with Intel(R) Celeron(R)CPU G1610T CPU. If I use DS3622xs+, nothing is found wether using web find.synology or synology assistant. I cannot even ping the network port DHCP is reporting the Gen8 microserver is using. It's as if the network adapter initially connects then drops the connection.

The network adapter in my Gen 8 is the stock HP Sata controller.

The OP states s/he is using VMWARE. Mine is a bare metal Gen 8 with Intel(R) Celeron(R)CPU G1610T CPU. If I use DS3622xs+, nothing is found wether using web find.synology or synology assistant. I cannot even ping the network port DHCP is reporting the Gen8 microserver is using. It's as if the network adapter initially connects then drops the connection.

The network adapter in my Gen 8 is the stock HP AHCI Sata controller.

I reverted back to building "bromolow-7.1.0-42661" and "DS3615xs" with "DSM_DS3615xs_42661.pat" file. Synology Assistant and Synolgy Web now see the server. I can reach 57% before getting the splash screen detailed above "Failed to install DSM. The file is probably corrupted". Using other "bromolow-7.1.0" pat files shows less improvement.

I am pleased to say, I succeeded with two installs using tinycore-redpill.v0.9.2.5.img without any loss of files to my RAID 5 btrfs volume.

1.  Working DS3615xs with bromolow-7.1.0-42661

2. Working DS3622xs+ with broadwellnk-7.1.0-42661

It is pointless to use (1.) because going forward you can't get any further updates. ( DS3615xs is deprecated)

I will do a write up tomorrow on exactly what I did to get (2.) working

Edited by Madasafish

Working stock bare metal HP Proliant Gen8 MicroServer - CPU G1610T

========================================================================

Prerequisites:

Gen8

Ensure Gen8 box is set to AHCI disk mode in BIOS

Ensure Gen8 box is set to boot from internal USB in BIOS

iLO remote console or VGA attached monitor and keyboard

Router

Manually assign your router DHCP server settings to provide a fixed IP address to the mac Gen8 is using. (Not really a pre-requisite but it saves a lot time.)

Windows

synology_broadwellnk_3622xs+.pat (DSM 7.1-42661 Update 1) (Download from Synology Downloads)

Win32DiskImager

Putty

Synology Assistant (Download from Synology Downloads)

Notes:

Brand new USB stick, I used a Sandisk Ultra Flair USB 3.0 16GB stick. A 4GB USB 2.0 stick is plenty for this task but the shop did not have any. It’s overkill, I know. I could not get anything to boot using the internal microSD card so gave up trying. I can't stress enough how important it is to use a new USB 2.0/3.0 stick, I spent days having failed installs which I believe was due to old USB sticks which look and work fine using Windows.

At the time of writing, I used tinycore-redpill.v0.9.2.5.img. Burn the image file to the USB2/3 stick (I used Win32DiskImager). Once complete, eject the stick and insert it into the Gen8 internal USB port.

Boot the Gen 8 and let it load Tiny core (I used HP iLO remote console to monitor the console boot process). Once you see the red smiling pill, monitor the small green console within where it says “System Main IP” until you see the IP address (that you manually assigned in your router) of your Gen 8 come up.

Start of Putty session - Use Putty to connect to that IP address. User/password  tc/P@ssw0rd

Cut and paste the following “sudo” commands into the Putty terminal/console one at a time and accept the defaults and use y/Y (yes). Do the edit and continue the cut and paste of the “sudo” commands including the last line “exitcheck.sh reboot” as well. Please note: With the changing of USB sticks etc, I am not convinced the edit is required but I did it anyway and it worked for me.

sudo ./rploader.sh clean

sudo ./rploader.sh update

sudo ./rploader.sh fullupgrade

sudo ./rploader.sh identifyusb

sudo ./rploader.sh serialgen DS3622xs+ realmac

sudo ./rploader.sh satamap

sudo ./rploader.sh listmods broadwellnk-7.1.0-42661

Begin of edit - Within Putty terminal, edit (I used vi) the “user_config.json” file

vi user_config.json

In the "extra_cmdline":  stanza, the last line says "DiskIdxMap": "00" add a comma to the end of that line so it looks like...

"DiskIdxMap": "00",

Add another line so it now looks like this...(no ending comma on the last line)

"dom_szmax": "2048"

Save and quit

The example given below has the sn and mac1 entries blanked out. To check the edit you have made, use....

cat user_config.json

"extra_cmdline": {

"pid": "0x5591",

"vid": "0x0781",

"sn": "XXXXXXXXXXXXX",

"mac1": "XXXXXXXXXXXX",

"SataPortMap": "6",

"dom_szmax": "2048"

},

End of Edit – the dom_szmax parameter sets the Red Pill build partition size to 2GB instead of the default 1GB

sudo ./rploader.sh build broadwellnk-7.1.0-42661

sudo ./rploader.sh backup

exitcheck.sh reboot

End of Putty session

Use iLo remote console to monitor the boot process

Let it do it's thing for a few minutes after booting the Tiny core kernel.

Run Synology Assistant and you should see the server (It may take a minute or 2). Note: If after 3 minutes, you can’t ping the Gen8 ip address, it will never work and you will have to rebuild RedPill again.

Once Synology Assistant does connect, it gave me the option to Migrate, so I selected the defaults and when requested for the pat file to use, used the pat file downloaded earlier. It then goes into a blue screen with a circular percentage upload counter. Once it gets to 59/60% it then states something like installing/updating DSM, I can’t remember exactly.

On completion, I could log into my Gen 8 Synology system and had my RAID 5 btrfs volume back with all my files preserved. It does warn you the volume requires scrubbing and you will need to do a re-setup of various items.

Another tool I found that was very useful for checking boot process of Tiny Core was

http://<yourip>:7681 (user/pass root/<blank>)

use:

dmesg

cat /var/log/*rc*

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

@capillonpub

In your case if the stock Gen8 has never been used as a Synology NAS drive before, I would go for a fresh install to the latest DSM version 7.1.1-42962

Download pat file
synology_broadwellnk_3622xs+.pat - https://archive.synology.com/download/Os/DSM/7.1.1-42962-1-NanoPacked

Just replace two of the command lines shown above with these instead.

sudo ./rploader.sh listmods broadwellnk-7.1.1-42962

sudo ./rploader.sh build broadwellnk-7.1.1-42962

• Like 1