XPEnology Community

Please Help: Can't Update DS918+ on ESXi from 7.0-41890

WiteWulf

Question

The server is a DS918+ on ESXi 7.0U2, it was initially built with an early redpill docker builder, using apollolake-7.0-41890

8x CPU, 16GB RAM, 2 NICs

Boot loader image is on SATA0:0

500GB disk image on SATA1:0

Slight wrinkle with the setup: the network the VM sits on has no DHCP by design, it is a server VLAN in a datacenter that expects all devices to be statically configured. As such, each time I boot into TCRP I have to manually configure the NIC for network connectivity, but the DSM install is configured correctly with a static IP so operates fine once booted.

I recently updated the bootloader to TCRP, still on apollolake-7.0-41890, there are no problems with this and I've repeated the process a couple of times to check it's building reproducibly.

I want to update the DSM version to a recent version, but everything I've tried fails.

Specific commands issued in TCRP are in italics

The Control Panel in DSM offers an update to 7.1-42661, so I try that first:

Update from Control Panel to Offered 42661

Install update

Reboot vm

Go into TCRP at boot

Configure network

./rploader.sh update

sudo ./rploader postupdate apollolake-7.1.0-42661

Reports “Found Version: 7.1-42661-0” and ask if I want to use this for the loader, I say yes

Reports “The new small update version will be : 7.1-42661-0”, asks if I want to use this for the loader, I say yes

exitcheck.sh reboot

vm now uses up 100% on one core and console outputs a stream of rm: can’t remove ‘<file>’, but no significant disk activity observed in VMware

I’ve left it like this for hours and it never seems to stop working through /proc /sys /dev etc.

Can’t ping on network, not visible with Synology Assistant gave up and reverted to snapshot

Manual update to 7.0.1-42218

Download .pat from archive.synology.com

Install update

Reboot vm

Go into TCRP at boot

Configure network

./rploader.sh update

sudo ./rploader postupdate apollolake-7.0.1-42218

TCRP incorrectly identifies to update as 7.0.1-42218-5 and asks if I want to use this for the loader

Selecting Y carries on with the build, selecting N exits to the prompt

So I try to continue anyway…

Reports “The new small update version will be : 7.0.1-42218-5”, asks if I want to use this for the loader, I say yes

exitcheck.sh reboot

Console output gets as far as “[    5.337562] bootconsole [uart0] disabled” and stops

CPU usage is similar to what was observed in the previous attempt, but with no console output I can’t see for sure

Can’t ping on network, not visible with Synology Assistant gave up and reverted to snapshot

Manual Update to 7.1-42661 (with Update 1)

Download .pat from archive.synology.com

Install update

Reboot vm

Go into TCRP at boot

Configure network

./rploader.sh update

sudo ./rploader postupdate apollolake-7.1.0-42661

TCRP again incorrectly identifies the update, as 7.1-42661-3 this time

Accept it and try to build anyway

exitcheck.sh reboot

Console output again stops at “[    5.371434] bootconsole [uart0] disabled”, with one CPU core max’d out

Any ideas what I'm doing wrong, or any suggestions?

2 answers to this question

Okay, I sorted this in the end, but it's more of a workaround than a fix, I never managed to get 7.0-41890 to upgrade in place to anything newer.

In the end I created a new DS3622xs+ VM with TCRP and mounted the HDD from the original DS918+ VM in that. When it booted up it identified the old drive and offered to do a "migrate disks" procedure, which worked and got me to 7.1.0-42661-1. I then ran through the individual updates to get it to 7.1.0-42661-4

Job done.