XPEnology Community

Xpenology on a HP server

psionguy

Question

I have been using Xpenology for many years on my HP server, but today it is no longer loading. Have done the usual checks. like rebooting, and checking IP address which has not changed. Has anything changed that may have caused this is issue, are there any other checks I could try to find out the problem, or is a re-build the only way forward?

Any help would be much appreciated. Update I have located my server using the DS Finder app, but not able to logon using my host name, I can open the server using ip address, but it does not accept my password. All very strange.

Edited by psionguy
updated

10 answers to this question

7 minutes ago, apriliars3 said:

It could be that the DSM partition had been without space and that's why it won't let you log in. It usually happens that it fails when trying to enter with the usual password.

I have managed to logon using ip address, seems to be a problem with my host name, although when I check my noip account it all looks in order. Have also noticed that my security cameras are no longer connected. I am baffled.

Thanks for the response 

On 8/31/2022 at 11:53 AM, psionguy said:

I have managed to logon using ip address, seems to be a problem with my host name, although when I check my noip account it all looks in order. Have also noticed that my security cameras are no longer connected. I am baffled.

Thanks for the response 

Is there no one that can offer some guidance on this issue, To recap I can only get into my server via my local IP address, my host address no longer works, even though the noip account is active and working.  Both my security cameras are now shown as disabled and all my backups no longer work. My model is DS361 5xs on a HP gen8 server, perhaps there needs to be an update, or do I start again from scratch.

Am I on the best section of the forum for help with issue?

Can you post a bit more info eg ?

Some network info like where is your dynamic dns set, firewall ports etc.

Any updates to your firewall that might have changed things, say 'resolving hostnames to local lan' 

How are you connecting to the cams, can you login to them via their ip addresses? 

Where are you backing up too? Another location, local lan device?

Given that your cams are not visible I'd say its a firewall issue somewhere

Many thanks for getting back to me, With regards to the security cameras they are all avaiable via their own apps. No changes to my firewall, and my hostnames are working ok on my other server. My ISP provider does change my main IP on a regular basis, but I have checked this and it is fine and active via my noip account. If i use the dsm app DS finder I can find the server and connect only via its ip address. baking up files from my PC to my Hp gen 8 server using Xpenology. Have been using this setup for many years without any problems, so it is a mystery 

so from your description, 'reverse engineering' your setup :)

you have a noip domain eg 'mystuff.noip.net'

each of your devices has a hostname in noip eg 'nas.mystuff.noip.net', 'cam1.mystuff.noip.net' etc etc

you have set ddns in each device to match its hostname

some hosts are not working, so id look at the noip account and check hosts are registered then check the hosts they are registered with noip, there should be logs.

id also look at the firewall rules for the devices if any

20 hours ago, sbv3000 said:

so from your description, 'reverse engineering' your setup :)

you have a noip domain eg 'mystuff.noip.net'

each of your devices has a hostname in noip eg 'nas.mystuff.noip.net', 'cam1.mystuff.noip.net' etc etc

you have set ddns in each device to match its hostname

some hosts are not working, so id look at the noip account and check hosts are registered then check the hosts they are registered with noip, there should be logs.

id also look at the firewall rules for the devices if any

Appresiate you getting back to me.  I have 3 host names with Noip, and they are all active. One is linked to another server and is working fine. I have been running this server for many years, and have had the odd problem which I have always managed to resolve, but this issue is so strange. I Have turned off my firewall, still no joy, as explained in a previous post I can access my server via local IP address and have access to the server in full, except both security cameras are disabled.  

so its confusing as lots of tech can be :)

the cams work on their app - how is that connected? IP, DDNS, Cloud?

disabled 'where' - Surveillance station'? How are they added to SS?, ip, ddns?

maybe look at rebooting the router, flushing dns, dhcp, checking your server firewall rules for the hosts are all working and there are no conflicts, and check back on any updates that have been done. You could try creating a new host in noip and testing that

Hi, thanks again for getting back to me, there is an update:-

I have sorted the security cameras, there was a change of IP address on the xpenology server, now rectified. However the main problem is still there, I have full access to my server via my local ip address  but can no longer get full remote access. Current lan IP has not changed, and when I check my No-ip account, lan ip is correct and active., indeed working perfectly on another server

Update

Have just look at my port forward on my router, and notice a chage of ip on my server port, which I have sorted, now have 90% back working, just the DSM audio app which is not opening, so I can live with that.

Looks like I can now close this thread 

Appresiate  and thank you for helping me.

Edited by psionguy