XPEnology Community

update to latest bootloader on hidden USB drive from CLI

Benoire

Hi

I recall reading a way to update the bootloader to the latest image without having to remove the USB drive. The drive is current hidden from DSM, but I wonder if that matters if I'm doing the update from the CLI via Putty. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Thanks,

Chris

Yeah, I found that much I was just wondering if it mattered, as it still has a drive id.. The main purpose of the post was to ask whether I could use the CLI to update the bootloader without removing it as the unit is located under my house and not so easy to get to in the cabinet there.

I usually just take the USB out and plug it into another machine to make any changes to the config, or even updating the boot.

it's faster and easier :wink:

I'll only do SSH / putty if it was remote machine, otherwise I'd rather do it quickly

I usually just take the USB out and plug it into another machine to make any changes to the config, or even updating the boot.

it's faster and easier :wink:

I'll only do SSH / putty if it was remote machine, otherwise I'd rather do it quickly

The machine is remote; under my house in a rack and while the front is easily accessible for swapping out drives, the USB is installed inside the case and this particular case doesn't have rails and is going to be replaced by the SuperMicro 16 bay chassis when all the parts arrive... I could wait till then, but I'm sure I read a way of using the command line to grab the new loader, and then install it to the USB...

Perhaps wget and then dd would be the right tool?

This was the thread!

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=6608

And this thread shows how to mount the USB stick so you can get your settings off it before you update to the latest image using dd.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=5605&p=49332#p49332

For those that want to try this, you simply follow the second thread to mount the device and then copy your custom syslinux.cfg if you've added serial and mac addresses; if you haven't hid the usb or done serial/mac, then you don't have to worry about this step.

Next is to follow the first thread and use /dev/synoboot as the device to write to. It will overwrite with the latest image.

This is good for those that run their devices remotely or have the USB stick in the case and in a rackmount that isn't on sliders (like me!).

Hope this helps someone.