XPEnology Community

Converting a Netgear ReadyNAS to Xpenology

dannieboiz

• 1 month later...
On 3/14/2023 at 10:08 AM, Luks1983 said:

Yesterday i successfully installed xpenology on my Netgear ReadyNas RN316. :)

Hi Luks1983,

I recently installed DSM 7.2-64570 on my upgraded ReadyNAS 516. The ReadyNAS 316, 516 and 716 are known to be very similar.

How did you implement your fan control so that the fans adjust to the hard drive and/or CPU temperatures?

My ReadyNAS runs outstanding with DSM, but the main fan running at maximum is unbearable.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hi Luks1983,

I recently installed DSM 7.2-64570 on my upgraded ReadyNAS 516. The ReadyNAS 316, 516 and 716 are known to be very similar.
How did you implement your fan control so that the fans adjust to the hard drive and/or CPU temperatures?
My ReadyNAS runs outstanding with DSM, but the main fan running at maximum is unbearable.

I didn't. I replaced factory fan to Noctua with fixed 600rpm speed.

Wysłane z mojego SM-S911B przy użyciu Tapatalka

34 minutes ago, Luks1983 said:

I didn't. I replaced factory fan to Noctua with fixed 600rpm speed.

Sorry, but that is not only unprofessional, but pure madness, because even under the ReadyNAS OS, the main fan idles at about 1000-1200 rpm. Since the hard disks usually have 4-6 times the value of a ReadyNAS enclosure, this way practiced by you is the best condition to create a maximum possible damage.

I have since returned to the ReadyNAS OS. Although I managed to read and address the ReadyNAS's NCT5577D fan control under DSM, the interaction of controlled hard drive temperatures, CPU and system temperatures is complex and a safe and quiet operation of my four 12TB Enterprise hard drives is more important to me than playing around with DSM.

I have Intel Atom 2700 on board. In my daily activities I never reach more than 900rmp on fan. After fan replacement CPU temperature is 35 degrees Celsius, drives temps are max 41 degrees. Before I replaced the fan I did many checks and tests. I also compared Noctua air flow with factory fan air flow. And I can say that Noctua has almost the same airflow with 600rpm speed as factory fan on 1100rpm. I also do not have 4x12TB HDD. I have only 2,5 inch drives: 1x2TB SSD, 4x4TB Seagate and 1x1TB ssd.
And for the end, I have RN316 which has completely different CPU than RN516 or RN716. It has passive cooled Intel Atom 2700 on board with 2cores and 10W TDP. It is basically tablet cpu. So my setup is completely different than yours. So don't tell me what is professional and what is not.

Wysłane z mojego SM-S911B przy użyciu Tapatalka

• 1 month later...
On 3/17/2023 at 4:00 AM, Luks1983 said:

Hi team,

i installed DSM 7 with all minor updates on RN316. The main case was to connect this unit with external screen, in my case it was LG Oled TV. With that I was able enter int to the bios, and change boot order. I disabled internal USB flash drive which is soldered on motherboard, and set up as first boot device flash drive with TCRP Loader. After booting to TCRP installation went simply smooth with two exceptions: 

1. i had to manually edit user file *.json and add there PID and VID from my flash drive, due to script did not put this info automatically in to config file

2. i had to manually change NIC's count from "1" to "2" ( RN316 has two physical ethernet interface ), and manually add line with second NIC mac address

After building loader, i booted nas from flash drive, choose in grub my build (DS3622xs+ in latest version), boot, finded my xpenology in synology assistant and installed DSM from pat file. 

In your case work is more difficult because RN628x do not have video output. But as far i checked you have PCI-e slot x8 on board. And on back plate you have low profile bracket. I believe there is a way to connect external graphic card or at least some DVI extension bracket.  So the best way will be to dissasembly you unit, put it on the table, connect some low profile graphic card and check if you will receive video signal in you lcd monitor. Also there is M2 slot, i do not know if you are using it for ssd cache etc.., but also this slot can be use to move video signal on the external bracket. Let me know how it goes. Further we will think how to assembly all parts together. ;)

Regards.

PS. I did not impact internal USB flash. I simply disable it in bios. So this drive remain intact and there is a way to revert ReadyNAS OS 6. Right now im working on it. I want back this drive up to external drive, format it and put there TCRP loader and remove external USB flash drive. :)

PS.2 Sorry for my english. I'm still working on it. And try to not use a translator. ;)

PS3. There is also a way to move internal PCI-E slot outside readynas box. You have to use extension cable, similar to this:

kdjsic PCI-Express Extension Cable for PCI-Express Graphics Card 20cm : Amazon.com.be: Electronics

https://www.amazon.com.be/-/en/kdjsic-PCI-Express-Extension-Cable-Graphics/dp/B09JLQY1NR 

Zrzut ekranu 2023-03-17 094956.png

Zrzut ekranu 2023-03-17 095521.png

Zrzut ekranu 2023-03-17 095746.png