XPEnology Community

Suggestions on hardware for an upgrade Syno

elmuziko

Hi all.

So my N54L has hit its limits. 5x 4TB drives in there and I'm bursting at the seams.

Rather than spend a fortune upgrading to 6tb drives I'm going to build a new NAS and migrate data across.

I'm going to use this as a case

http://www.fractal-design.com/home/prod ... s/node-804

but have no idea what to use for everything else. It needs to be low power. That's pretty much it. I have a Amazon Fire box with KODI on, so as long as it can has enough whack to stream to that I really don't care.

Any suggestions?

Thank you please

I use an ASRock C2550D4I and run XPEnology bare metal on it. I chose it for it's low power consumption (CPU TDP is 14W) and it's 12 built-in SATA ports. The only down side are (1) that two of the 12 SATA ports had to be disabled for use with the XPEnoboot 5592 and 5644 and (2) wake-on-LAN couldn't be enabled. Otherwise, everything has been working great. I use it to stream movies via Plex server to my Apple TV running Plex client and it works perfectly.

I have it in a Silverstone DS380 case. I chose it for it's hot plug drive bays.

My box is extremely overkill.

Supermicro X8DT6-F 2x Mini SAS and 6x SATA flashed for JBOD mode for up to 14 drives.

Dual Xeon L5630 Hyperthreaded Quad cores

48GB DDR3 ECC

12 Bay Hot Swap Chenbro 2U Disk array chassis.

I converted my freeNAS box to XPEnology. Surprisingly this thing only uses about 130W of power.

I assembled a system using

Biostar A68N-5000 AMD quad core APU, Syba 4 port SATA card (giving 6 drive capacity), all inside a Thermaltake Core V1 cube (took some engineering to fit the 6 drives but it worked).

This streams 1080p/24 fine to my devices, WOL and power schedules all work.

Not as powerful as the other guys systems, but 'cheap' :smile: and low power, its always on as it runs my ESXi NFS shares.

I use an ASRock C2550D4I and run XPEnology bare metal on it. I chose it for it's low power consumption (CPU TDP is 14W) and it's 12 built-in SATA ports. The only down side are (1) that two of the 12 SATA ports had to be disabled for use with the XPEnoboot 5592 and 5644 and (2) wake-on-LAN couldn't be enabled. Otherwise, everything has been working great. I use it to stream movies via Plex server to my Apple TV running Plex client and it works perfectly.

I have it in a Silverstone DS380 case. I chose it for it's hot plug drive bays.

Just had a look at your motherboard, 12 SATA ports???

they're different speeds though, am I right in thinking that doesn't matter when it comes to building SHR RAID?

Supermicro X8DT6-F 2x Mini SAS and 6x SATA flashed for JBOD mode for up to 14 drives.

I've had a look at that, I assume you've gone with a 6 port MOBO and a PCI card? Sorry I'm not great at hardware lingo.

Same kind of thing, you can have one massive SHR?

Biostar A68N-5000 AMD quad core APU, Syba 4 port SATA card (giving 6 drive capacity)

Do you run a single volume or multi?

Whilst I can't say for sure, but I have a PCIe RAID card for my "downloads" drive but the damn thing kept falling offline so put it down to the card itself rather than the drives. If yours is pretty solid then at least I know I don't have to find a MOBO with a gazillion SATA ports

Thanks gents.

I'm using 6 drives in a single SHR1, no disks groups

I've been using the Syba cards in XPE boxes for over a year and never had a problem

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Syba-PCI-e-Cont ... e+brackets

the mobo has 2 native sata and 1 lan. I added a usb3 LAN adapter to give a second connection, but to be honest I've never noticed a network issue with one lan port.

Just had a look at your motherboard, 12 SATA ports???

they're different speeds though, am I right in thinking that doesn't matter when it comes to building SHR RAID?

Yes, 12 built-in SATA ports. However, again, to use XPEnoboot 5592 or 5644, two of them need to be disabled.

Yes, some are SATA 2 and some are SATA 3. It hasn't made any difference that I can tell. I'm still getting a max of approximately 110MB/s reads and writes over a single gigabit ethernet port.