XPEnology Community

Large network file transfer performance over SMB

unmesh

Question

Large file transfers between the VM on the Lenovo TS140 and the HP N54L have historically been limited to approximately 95MB/s by the Gigabit Ethernet link.

I got 10Gigabit NICs for both and have recently got around to testing performance. For the network, iperf3 shows about 9Gbps transfer between the two. The ESXi server happens to have a NVMe drive in addition to hard drives so I used the former for one end of the storage transfer. The HP only has hard drives though it is a modern one and dd writes from /dev/zero occur at 250MB/s and dd reads to /dev/null occur at 150MB/s after flushing the cache.

However, using File Station and a remote CIFS mount to do network transfers from the NVMe to this hard drive bench at around 150MB/s and only 120MB/s in the opposite direction. Should there be that much dropoff or is this not a fair test?

The CPU utilization on the weaker HP remains below 20% os it would seem that drivers and SMB aren't pegging it.

I could add a 2.5" SATA drive to the HP and test with it even though the bays are SATA2 rather than SATA3 but was hoping for some insight from the community first.

0 answers to this question

There have been no answers to this question yet