XPEnology Community

can i install the whole system into usb?

schiway

no, i mean, i don't know where the synology system will be installed into, is it in one of the data hard drives/partitions? can i install it into an independent hard drive/partition? if it's allowed, could i install it into a usb thumb drive, after all, it's quite small.

no, i mean, i don't know where the synology system will be installed into, is it in one of the data hard drives/partitions? can i install it into an independent hard drive/partition? if it's allowed, could i install it into a usb thumb drive, after all, it's quite small.

I think if you don't attach a disk at install time, then it won't be used for DSM files.

When you install DSM at least one HDD must be attached to the system, otherwise you will be unable to install it. If you have more than one HDD DSM is installed to all drives, you cannot choose where to install it, it's a function of DSM.