XPEnology Community

Registered Serial/Mac from another DS, on Xpen, Should i Login from DSM?

Captainfingerbang

Question

Thanks to you amazing folks, i setup my first few Xpenologies in 2018 but now i could really use your help so thank you all!

I happened upon a serial and mac from a 2012 Diskstation -15 series.

I created new pen drive/Diskstation with 918+ stuffs on it,1.4 loader, latest DSM and kept all my shared folders/files, for the sole purpose of getting thumbnails created for the Vidoes in "photo" folder. 500gb of videos 250gb photos. Because DSM refused to create thumbs for vids without valid Serial/Mac.

So it appears I have a "legit" account with Synology (though some options greyed out) for the time being and Photostation created all the thumbs after 3 days.

Although Moments isnt creating Thumbs, not sure why.

So my questions are, from what you have seen in the past with this, what is your knowledge on these areas?

• Hypothetically, if Synology decided to rescind my account/serial etc, would they also somehow delete/rollback my thumbnails in Photo folder or anywhere? Does this happen? can i back up @eaDir thumbnails??

• I can login to my Syno account from browser, but i'm getting an error twice (see below image) when attempting login from dsm control panel.i dont even get option to input my user/password. Is this common when using real serial/mac address? Would proceeding here make things worse or bad to my DS ? I don't need quick connect or any support, i only needed thumbnails created. I'm afraid to proceed here, to screw something up, in a holding pattern for your advice

• Lastly, should i instead be using the correct model number for my serial/mac pair instead of the 918+ profile? Does it make a difference for real Serial/Mac on Xpenology?

1811452084_Scrreenforsynologyforumpost.thumb.JPG.38bc69faa99fd1975d9a4ef94f7db25e.JPG

DISCLAIMER: Using a real serial and mac does NOT make  Xpenology unit LEGIT. . Don't do this at home kids, because i'm pretty sure its like frowned upon in some places here. Be Safe

Edited by Captainfingerbang

0 answers to this question

There have been no answers to this question yet