[SOLVED] Install on vmware ESXI

Re: Install on vmware ESXI

Postby domwong » 06 Jun 2013 02:35

I have question if I can run DSM on VM workstation whether it implies can be run on ESXi?

thank you.
domwong

Postby Tuatara » 06 Jun 2013 05:56

domwong wrote:I have question if I can run DSM on VM workstation whether it implies can be run on ESXi?

Ummm ... I don't understand the question.

This entire thread is about running DSM in ESXi. By re-reading the thread, you'll find all the information you need to run DSM on ESXi. You need a different set of installation files for ESXi than what is needed for VMWare Workstation or VirtualBox or Hyper-V or for a physical machine (HP N40, etc.)

For ESXi, read (and follow exactly) the "Idiot's Guide" to install on ESXi.
Idiot's Guide to DSM 4.2 and ESXi 5.1

For other VMWare or VirtualBox installations, check other forum threads. The best one would probably be "XPEnology for dummies LINK Update 02/02/2013".
XPEnology for dummies LINK Update 02/02/2013
Tuatara

Postby Panja » 06 Jun 2013 07:47

Tuatara wrote:
Panja wrote:Guys is someone experiencing the same problem as I have?

I installed the build as per Idiot's Guide. Running fine but I do have one problem.
I setup Shared Folder Sync on my XPEnology and it syncs to my real Synology DS412+ at home.
I have set the configuration of Shared Folder Sync to sync files whenever the folder changes but nothing happens.
The initial sync works, so the sync itself is working, but after the initial sync it does not see anything that gets changed.

I checked the logs on my XPEnology and saw this error:
Code: Select all
Jun  5 22:34:09 s2s_monitor: synotify_add_watch error: Function not implemented  path:[/volume1/photo/Foto Sync]

Is this a problem with this build or with XPEnology?
Or is it something else?

"synotify_add_watch" with a path sounds suspiciously like the "inotify_add_watch" function ( Reference ) in Linux. It's possible that Synology has extended this function to support their special disk configurations (SHR?), and this support is not available (or not present) in the PVSCSI drivers being used for VMWare/ESXi. In which case, it will take some reverse engineering to resolve.

Alternatively, there could be an error in the DSM Shared Folder Sync functionality. The first thing that comes to mind is the [space] in the directory name. It's possible that there is an error in the code, which has been corrected/updated in the newer DSM version. For reference, check out my post above:

Synology DiskStation DS3612xs Release Notes
Version: DSM 4.2-3211
(2013/04/18) - What's New

Improved stability when syncing files between two DiskStations with Shared Folder Sync.

My first attempt at a fix, would be to remove the [space] in the directory name and try the Shared Folder Sync configuration/setup again. Gut feel says that this has a high chance of working.

Thanks mate for your reply!
I'll give it a try. Although the folder I'm trying to sync is not with spaces. The name of the Sync Set is called Foto Sync (with a space).
But never the less I'm going to give it a try and report back here.

cheers
Panja

Postby Panja » 06 Jun 2013 08:01

Unfortunatly it's not working. Getting the same messages in the log:

Jun  6 09:49:38 s2s_monitor: synotify_add_watch error: Function not implemented  path:[/volume1/Test2]
Jun  6 09:49:38 s2s_monitor: synotify_add_watch error: Function not implemented  path:[/volume1/Test2/synctest]

[update]
After testing above I did anoher test.
I setup the sync the other way around. So ds412+ to sync to XPEnology.
Created the sync set and set it to automatically sync when there is a change.
This works without problems.
Panja

Postby Tuatara » 06 Jun 2013 08:36

Panja wrote:Unfortunatly it's not working. Getting the same messages in the log:

Jun  6 09:49:38 s2s_monitor: synotify_add_watch error: Function not implemented  path:[/volume1/Test2]
Jun  6 09:49:38 s2s_monitor: synotify_add_watch error: Function not implemented  path:[/volume1/Test2/synctest]

[update]
After testing above I did anoher test.
I setup the sync the other way around. So ds412+ to sync to XPEnology.
Created the sync set and set it to automatically sync when there is a change.
This works without problems.

Ok ... this means that the synotify_add_watch error has been removed from the ESXi patches. If you're happy having the sync operate the other way, then you have a solution.

I'll see if I can find the function call/stub/omission in jukolaut's code updates, but I don't have the time right now to do so. Maybe when the 3211 version GPL code is available. :-)
Tuatara

Postby Panja » 06 Jun 2013 08:50

To be honest I only the sync the other way around for testing purposes.
I understand you don't have all the time of the world. :D
I'll just wait for it.

For now manual syncing (Full Sync) works. So that's someting. :lol:

Thanks!
Panja

Postby domwong » 06 Jun 2013 09:54

Tuatara wrote:
domwong wrote:I have question if I can run DSM on VM workstation whether it implies can be run on ESXi?

Ummm ... I don't understand the question.

This entire thread is about running DSM in ESXi. By re-reading the thread, you'll find all the information you need to run DSM on ESXi. You need a different set of installation files for ESXi than what is needed for VMWare Workstation or VirtualBox or Hyper-V or for a physical machine (HP N40, etc.)

For ESXi, read (and follow exactly) the "Idiot's Guide" to install on ESXi.
Idiot's Guide to DSM 4.2 and ESXi 5.1

For other VMWare or VirtualBox installations, check other forum threads. The best one would probably be "XPEnology for dummies LINK Update 02/02/2013".
XPEnology for dummies LINK Update 02/02/2013

It is because I have finished set up DSM 3211 on VM Workstation 8 under Windows 2008 and wanna export this VM to ESXi 5.1. Am I just click to export in VM Workstation or fully install from the beginning under ESXi?
domwong

Postby Panja » 06 Jun 2013 10:17

DSM 4.2 build 3211 is not yet running under ESXi.
So you won't be able to export it.

At the moment the most recent version for ESXi = build 3202.

Tuatara made an Idiot's Guide (for dummies) to install it under ESXi 5.0/5.1
Which can be found here: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=558&start=40#p1632
Panja

Postby domwong » 06 Jun 2013 10:41

Panja wrote:DSM 4.2 build 3211 is not yet running under ESXi.
So you won't be able to export it.

At the moment the most recent version for ESXi = build 3202.

Tuatara made an Idiot's Guide (for dummies) to install it under ESXi 5.0/5.1
Which can be found here: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=558&start=40#p1632

I have first installed 3211 in VB, then copy VMware version 3202's "zImage" file to VB. Use VM workstation to run it. Success. :D :D
domwong

Postby Panja » 06 Jun 2013 11:01

I am talking about VMware ESXi not VMware Workstation.
Different product. :D
Panja

PreviousNext

Return to XPEnology General discussion

x