XPEnology Community

how much memory needed

kassingjed

I just bought N54L and I am going to give DSM4.3 a try. I have been reading a lot but I could not find an answer to this question: How much memory is needed to run DSM4.3? I have read that to run FreeNAS you need 8G or 16G in order to get good performance (caching ZFS data). Does more memory help DSM performance-wise? is the 2G RAM good enough for streaming one 1080P video?

Thanks,

Jed

I just bought N54L and I am going to give DSM4.3 a try. I have been reading a lot but I could not find an answer to this question: How much memory is needed to run DSM4.3? I have read that to run FreeNAS you need 8G or 16G in order to get good performance (caching ZFS data). Does more memory help DSM performance-wise? is the 2G RAM good enough for streaming one 1080P video?

Thanks,

Jed

For me 512MB is enough for run DSM 4.3 and 20+ packages :grin:

Thanks,

Jed

FreeNAS and other BSD based NAS' are very different animals and ZFS is very demanding.

Entry level Synology boxes (2bays) come with 256MB RAM, Medium sized 4-8 bays model have standard 512MB or 1GB, higher end business boxes for 10-12 drives come with 2GB. On HP N54L standard 2GB RAM is more than enough and will not be fully used with apps and disks that you can use. You will not likely see any benefits beyond 512MB or 1GB.