XPEnology Community

Cannot detect hard disk - DSM_DS3612_2668

rhinoking21

Dear Expert,

Can anyone help on this. I get the message of cannot find any hardisk after installing the PAT file on step 2 when it is trying to format the system area. I am using DSM_DS3612xs_2668.pat file after starting up synoboot.vdi from Virtual box.

I am using a genuine Synology Assistance from my DS212J NAS for communicating to the VM.

:?:

I am using MSI 880GMA-E55 mother board with chipset (AMD 880G + SB850).

It is running Win7 on a Seagate 500GB SATA2 HDD with latest version of Virtual box from Oracle (Ver 4.3.0 r89960)

Also there is an additional WD 320GB SATA2 HDD.

I am not familar with Virtual box. Previously I following some forum instruction and add the vdi file under IDE, and get the previous symtpom of cannot fins any HDD. This time I try to add the vdi file under SATA, and now it can successfuly find the HDD, and start with the progress bar. But it only hold for a few second, and then complain for cannot partition the HDD and then failed.

Do I need to create additional storage in additional to the boot VDI? Or is there any other precaution I need? Many thanks.

Well unfortunately i have no clue re Virtual Box as i am using ESXi;

but i need 2 drives in there (boot +1 data drive) to install properly; so that might be worth a try.

And if ur using VBox then the actual hardware wont matter so it should work (is there a VBox guide anywhere - i dont know;))

Maybe try Xpenology for dummies - viewtopic.php?f=2&t=514

Download the virtualbox files then open virtualbox on your pc and go to file then import appliance and it will create an xpenology vm.

Open the vm settings and change the network adapter to the one on your pc, and also add any extra virtual drives you want to use (by default small boot drive and 20gb dynamic)

If you are trying to use a real hard drive in the virtual machine look at this http://www.virtualbox.org/manual/ch09.html#rawdisk

I tried to add an additional disk and made some progress. Synology Assistance successfully take the PAT file, go through successfully the following steps

1. network setting

2. format system area

3. format data area - NA

4. install DSM

When it come to step 5, it fails.

5. write config file

When checking on the VM, the following is shown, and the VM doesn't boot up

GRUB loading, please wait...

Error 22

make a copy of the boot image file before you install and when it says error writing config (it corrupts boot image file because it writes files to it) you need to delete the original and mount the good copy you made earlier.

You can also write synoboot.img to a usb drive using win32diskimager and then create a vmdk of the physical drive and mount it in the vm, boot the vm and remove the usb drive then select pat file and install, once setup says rebooting quickly plug usb drive back in so it boots up normally (you can mount the original boot image and forget the usb drive once the install is finished).