XPEnology Community

Synology Photos: Pictures don't index in /photo/NFS_Share or /photo/CIFS_Share Shared Space

I have mounted NFS of Samba shares with pictures from a debian server in /var/services/photo/. The shares mount fine (tried with NFS and CIFS) but I am having problems with indexing existing pictures already in the shares. If tried indexing from command line with synoindex or from the Indexing Service GUI with no luck. When I access the shared pictures in Synology photos I see all pictures with the hourglass spinning bottom right and when I try to access them it says "The file cannot be displayed because it is currently being indexed or converted."

I'm convinced that the shares are mounted correctly because if I upload a picture from the Synology Photos gui and then reindex it shows up fine along with the thumbnail indexing. This leads me to believe that there shouldn't be any issues with permissions of accessing the shares.

I read on a forum that indexing by running "synowebapi --exec api=SYNO.FotoTeam.Index method=reindex version=1 runner={username} type=basic" might fix the issue but no luck.

Has anyone managed to properly reindex pictures, videos, etc. from a NFS or CIFS share that has been mounted in the Shared Space of Synology Photos?

39 минут назад, SynPho сказал:

I have mounted NFS of Samba shares with pictures from a debian server in /var/services/photo/. The shares mount fine (tried with NFS and CIFS) but I am having problems with indexing existing pictures already in the shares. If tried indexing from command line with synoindex or from the Indexing Service GUI with no luck. When I access the shared pictures in Synology photos I see all pictures with the hourglass spinning bottom right and when I try to access them it says "The file cannot be displayed because it is currently being indexed or converted."

I'm convinced that the shares are mounted correctly because if I upload a picture from the Synology Photos gui and then reindex it shows up fine along with the thumbnail indexing. This leads me to believe that there shouldn't be any issues with permissions of accessing the shares.

I read on a forum that indexing by running "synowebapi --exec api=SYNO.FotoTeam.Index method=reindex version=1 runner={username} type=basic" might fix the issue but no luck.

Has anyone managed to properly reindex pictures, videos, etc. from a NFS or CIFS share that has been mounted in the Shared Space of Synology Photos?

I won't be able to help with setting up photo indexing in this case. But I would be interested to know - for what purpose do you use photo storage on a mounted shares? Why don't you store photos directly on the DSM, which is what it is designed for?

I have 2tb worth of pictures on a regular drive that is mounted on debian linux. I installed xpenology for the purpose of using synology photos to access/view 1tb of the pictures via the synology photos app. What I would do is every time I would generate more photos/videos i would upload them to my linux mounted drive and then also sftp copy them onto my xpenology build. Reindex via the gui and violla they'd show up on my famility phones.

Now that the amount of photos is growing I would just like to keep one copy because it will eliminate wasted space. What I would like to do is mount nfs shares from my debian linux mounted drive and just use xpenology for the sake of using synology photos app as I find it to be the best app for photo viewing/backups via mobile app. Xpenology would be just the gateway vm that would enable external users to view these photos remotely via the nfs/cifs shares.

I won't have to worry about xpenology upgrades going wrong, my original photos/videos being tampered with by xpenology and keep my photos nicely organized on am external physical drive.

I can think of a reason as to why synolology would not want this to work. Because then users are dependent on their synology based storage and not an external storage setup to keep their photos/videos.

My question is why have a feature that enables people to mount external nfs/cifs shares on the shared photos space if you're not able to index and view them? I have yet to find a thread where someone has gotten this to work.