XPEnology Community

Migrate Xpenology 7.1.1 from an ESXI VM to a Proxmox VM

djkay2637

Hi all,

I have been using Xpenology 7.1.1 on ESXI for a good while but with many changes to ESXI i would like to migrate to another hypervisor.  I currently pass though a LSI 2008 HBA controller where the VM has direct access to the disks.

I have installed Proxmox on a new boot drive on the same original server as before. Proxmox all setup, PCI Passthrough all working and migrated the VM fine and everything boots as it should. In the Xpenology VM now hosted by Proxmox, i am missing a few drives which has put the original disk arrays into a bit of a state. 

This is what i know:

In ESXI you have two storage controllers, one for the RedPill Boot virtual image and the other controller for any other virtual disks. I don't have any other virtual disks as i am passing through the entire controller. In Proxmox, you can only have one SATA controller. I think the number of sata ports of the old virtual controller must be different from the new controller putting all the disk mapping into disarray (pun intended). It has put all disks out of sync with respect of where it thinks they should be.

Has anybody successfully migrated an ESXI Xpenology VM to Proxmox whilst using PCIE passthrough? Has anybody got any suggestions?

Thank you in advance, Dan.