XPEnology Community

Implementation of RedPill bootloader hard disk porting function PROJECT

Posted (edited)

This project started about two weeks ago at the suggestion of @wjz304 .

A guide that can be processed with Jun's loader in DSM 6 already exists as shown below.

This method requires a lot of manual work through MS Windows.
Redpil plans to create a simpler automatic script as a menu function.

https://github.com/PeterSuh-Q3/tinycore-redpill/blob/main/menu_m.sh#L1688

The part where tcrp-mshell is slightly different from rr is

tcrp, as its name suggests, is a redpill loader that uses tinycore Linux, so it includes one more kernel.

The kernels used by rr and tcrp are as follows.

1. rr kernel (tcrp is friend kernel)
2. dsm kernel (same for tcrp)
3. tc kernel (tcrp only)
rr contains all the functions that the tc kernel and friend kernel must perform in the rr kernel.

This is why the menu starts directly with ./menu.sh in the rr kernel.

The reason I explained these kernels is

Ultimately, these kernel files (2 per kernel) must be ported to the hard drive.

The existing DSM 6 Jun's loader had a kernel size of only 50M, so 100M of spare space at the end of the first hard drive was sufficient.

However, Red Pill is equipped with various kernels, and the files for each kernel are close to 100M.

1. tc kernel (20M, mydata.tgz backup file is variable)
2. Friend kernel (61M fixed size)
3. dsm kernel (based on ds3622xs+ 7.2.1-69057, 82M initrd-dsm is variable [including driver modules and addons for each model])

The loader on the original USB stick is all in the 3rd partition with a lot of free space.

It is impossible to store all of this in 100M on one hard drive.

Give up less and only take items 2 and 3 and use 2 hard drives.

Two hard drives created as Basic or JBOD type are required.

Assuming that the structure of each hard drive on which the storage pool is created is of the above two types,

It consists of system partition 8G + 2G and data partition (the entire remaining area).

I thought there was only about 100M space behind the data partition.

If you look closely, there is about 128M more free space between the system partition and data partition.

You will see that the Start / End sectors are not connected and are empty.

In the meantime, create an extended partition, sd#4, and create additional logical partitions where the bootloader partitions should exist.

This capture shows bootloader partitions 1, 2, and 3 split into two hard drives.

de10ce1fa2b468e6107f3b802cae85c8.thumb.jpeg.0fc5e18475a6c843a7632c2b34bd286a.jpeg

78d00f900b0407bd4a0a35d8033c069b.thumb.jpeg.88812692ac72ffd4a25b7c0385cedd5b.jpeg

The first partition has 98M space.

Contains the friend kernel from number 2 above.

Because the location of the kernel changed, modifications were made to a separate grub.cfg.

The existing boot loader searches for (hd0, msdos1) and includes the part where grub is set to boot.

Use grub-install to readjust it to point to (hd0,msdos5) = /dev/sd#5.

Activate /dev/sd#5, which corresponds to the first partition of the boot loader, to Active so that the hard drive can boot grub on its own.

The second partition does not require a lot of space, but

The important part contains rd.gz extracted from the original dsm pat file.

When an update for SmallFixVersion is detected, it automatically assists in update processing through Ramdisk automatic patching.

Currently, DSM 7.2.1-69057 is a file required to automatically update U0 to U4.

In the 3rd partition

The DSM kernel for each model is included.

This is a kernel file that keeps changing and being regenerated every time you rebuild the loader.

The intermediate file custom.gz (contains rd.gz and the driver) is also included.

Because the size is not trivial, the final result, initrd-dsm, contains almost the same content.

We have found a way to exclude it and have recently reflected it in the friend kernel version upgrade in advance.

In the case of rr, the size of custom.gz and initrd-dsm contains too many modules (e.g. wifi module, etc.) compared to tcrp.

As it is, only 2 hard drives are insufficient.

I am not sure if wjz304 is well aware of this and is adjusting the kernel size related to this.

With this preparation in place, you can boot with the bootloader implanted using only two BASIC type hard drives.

For this purpose, remove the original bootloader, USB or SATA DOM bootloader.

Up to this point, I have implemented the bootloader script and completed the first test.
Following this topic, I would like to separately explain the problems and solutions I would like to consider.

Edited by Peter Suh
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)

However, the new method attempted by TTG, the Redpill development group, is not a USB loader.

The development that enabled the use of the Sata DOM bootloader was hindered.

Among Sata disks, the disk that exists first is always recognized as the bootloader.

So, the BASIC type disk to which this boot loader has been transplanted also has to be partitioned by Synoboot, the boot loader.

There is a phenomenon in which the front disk disappears. (The data is not damaged.)

This is implemented on the lkm side, and can be viewed as a type of fake technology.

A few days ago, I looked into the source code with the intention of recompiling lkm and improving it.

It seems that when the TTG group first implemented this Sata DOM Fake feature, they thought it was crazy.

However, I think they left a comment at the end saying that it has stabilized a lot and is usable now.

https://github.com/PeterSuh-Q3/redpill-lkm/blob/master/shim/boot_dev/fake_sata_boot_shim.c

/**
 * A crazy attempt to use SATA disks as proper boot devices on systems without SATA DOM support
 * BACKGROUND
 * The syno-modifed SCSI driver (sd.c) contains support for so-called boot disks. It is a logical designation for drives
 * separated from normal data disks. Normally that designation is based on vendor & model of the drive. The native SATA
 * boot shim uses that fact to modify user-supplied drive to match that vendor-model and be considered bootable.
 * Likewise similar mechanism exists for USB boot media. Both are completely separate and work totally differently.
 * While both USB storage and SATA are SCSI-based systems they different in the ways devices are identified and pretty
 * much in almost everything else except the protocol.
 * HOW DOES IT WORK?
 * This shim performs a nearly surgical task of grabbing a SATA disk (similarly to native SATA boot shim) and modifying
 * its descriptors to look like a USB drive for a short while. The descriptors cannot be left in such state for too
 * long, and have to be reverted as soon as the disk type is determined by the "sd.c" driver. This is because other
 * processes actually need to read & probe the drive as a SATA one (as you cannot communicate with a SATA device like
 * you do with a USB stick).
 * In a birds-eye view the descriptors are modified just before the sd_probe() is called and removed when ida_pre_get()
 * is called by the sd_probe(). The ida_pre_get() is nearly guaranteed [even if the sd.c code changes] to be called
 * very early in the process as the ID allocation needs to be done for anything else to use structures created within.
 * HERE BE DRAGONS
 * This code is highly experimental and may explode at any moment. We previously thought we cannot do anything with
 * SATA boot due to lack of kernel support for it (and userland method being broken now). This crazy idea actually
 * worked and after many tests on multiple platforms it seems to be stable. However, we advise against using it if USB
 * is an option. Code here has many safety cheks and safeguards but we will never consider it bullet-proof.
 * References:
 *  - https://www.kernel.org/doc/html/latest/core-api/idr.html (IDs assignment in the kernel)
 *  - drivers/scsi/sd.c in syno kernel GPL sources (look at sd_probe() and syno_disk_type_get())
 */

So, if it is possible to have a SATA disk at the front as a dummy, I am trying to do it like this.

As a first test yesterday, I attempted to connect to the loop device with a dummy img and acquire /dev/sda first when the kernel is loaded as shown below.
I tested it within the Friend kernel, and the script works as expected.
However, it failed to obtain /dev/sda as a symbolic link first.

https://github.com/PeterSuh-Q3/tcrpfriend/blob/main/buildroot/board/tcrpfriend/rootfs-overlay/etc/udev/rules.d/99-custom.rules

https://github.com/PeterSuh-Q3/tcrpfriend/blob/main/buildroot/board/tcrpfriend/rootfs-overlay/root/load-sda-first.sh

Now, as a second test, we excluded the Friend kernel and injected the above content into initrd-dsm as shown below to conduct the same test in Junior, which is the DSM kernel stage.

https://github.com/PeterSuh-Q3/tinycore-redpill/commit/34ed365357820d7c54552ce2114208670805ff13

Do you think this method will be effective?

Edited by Peter Suh
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)

I think I found something useful.
Internally, Proxmox points to /dev/loop0 as the USB source.
I think I can create synoboot even on bare metal just by creating /dev/loop0 as a dummy img.

https://github.com/PeterSuh-Q3/redpill-lkm/blob/master/tools/inject_rp_ko.sh

# Injects RedPill LKM file into a ramdisk inside of an existing image (so you can test new LKM without constant full image
# rebuild & transfer)
#
# Internally we use it something like this with Proxmox pointing to /dev/loop0 as the USB source:
#   rm redpill.ko ; wget https://buildsrv/redpill.ko ; \
#   IRP_LEAVE_ATTACHED=1 ./inject_rp_ko.sh rp-3615-v6.img redpill.ko ; losetup ; \
#   qm stop 101 ; sleep 1 ; qm start 101 ; qm terminal 101 -iface serial1

Edited by Peter Suh
  • Like 2

I should have tried it with a native hard drive from the beginning.

I ended up wasting several days by testing in the VMWARE FUSION virtual environment for a more convenient test.

The main purpose of Redpill bootloader hard disk porting is to port the bootloader to the hard disk without using a USB stick.

In a virtual environment, it is sufficient to use a virtual Sata disk as a boot loader anyway, so the function of porting it to a disk seems unnecessary.

Anyway, due to the nature of Redfill lkm, it synoboots the moment a Sata SSD is seen.

A healthy disk disappears.

Only those who have at least two BASIC or JOB type disks in Native can use it.

I will improve the functionality, distribute it soon, and also upload a user guide.

• Like 1

And, there is one more great thing I gained from this two-week study.
56 ~ 57% connected to disk damage error
3 FAT boot partitions on USB
/dev/synoboot1, /dev/synoboot2, /dev/synoboot3
If it cannot be mounted
boot-wait (tcrp) and automount (rr) complement this.
There are addons such as:

If these three boot partitions are not mounted properly, they cannot be created.
There is a function that forces this.
This is a method I researched and came up with.
Force create the above three nodes with the /bin/mknod command.
Because this forcefully created node is not a stable node,
The 56-57% disk damage error still did not go away.

However, as a result of this function, there is no need to forcibly fake these nodes.
It seems to be more stable to connect to a USB device directly using "ln -s" in the form of a direct symbolic link.

I will discuss this improvement plan with wjz304 and spread it to rr to improve it into a more stable addon.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

23 hours ago, Peter Suh said:

And, there is one more great thing I gained from this two-week study.
56 ~ 57% connected to disk damage error
3 FAT boot partitions on USB
/dev/synoboot1, /dev/synoboot2, /dev/synoboot3
If it cannot be mounted
boot-wait (tcrp) and automount (rr) complement this.
There are addons such as:

If these three boot partitions are not mounted properly, they cannot be created.
There is a function that forces this.
This is a method I researched and came up with.
Force create the above three nodes with the /bin/mknod command.
Because this forcefully created node is not a stable node,
The 56-57% disk damage error still did not go away.

However, as a result of this function, there is no need to forcibly fake these nodes.
It seems to be more stable to connect to a USB device directly using "ln -s" in the form of a direct symbolic link.

I will discuss this improvement plan with wjz304 and spread it to rr to improve it into a more stable addon.

In the Device-Tree based model, the three partitions in the HDD injected in the form below are linked as shown below.
This is handled within the automount addon.

https://github.com/PeterSuh-Q3/tcrp-addons/blob/main/automount/src/install.sh

2024-03-1311_54_07.thumb.png.adc2ebd0432bccd86d79aff4e89be28b.png