XPEnology Community

Can i use Intel NUC i7 NUC7i7BNH with xpenology? Looking to upgrade current Synology NAS

xpe48

Hi,

I have a very reliable synology nas I have been using for 10 years. Looking to get something more modern which is a little faster.

Was looking at 723+ but than I realized it is a simple AMD processor and no hardware encoding (not critical), so i have a spare Intel NUC i7 NUC7i7BNH i thought could I use this and load DSM and that is when I stumbled on this site.

Doing a search for this model NUC nothing came up so I figured I would ask if any one has done it and if it is possible?

Thoughts?

1 час назад, xpe48 сказал:

i have a spare Intel NUC i7 NUC7i7BNH i thought could I use this and load DSM and that is when I stumbled on this site... if any one has done it and if it is possible?

yes.

But you need to figure out for yourself what you plan to use this DSM for. For example, it will be impossible to connect sufficiently large volumes of disks to it while maintaining high speed, reliability and convenience.

In my case, DSM are based on NUC, used only in the country as a CMS Recorder (Surveillance Station) - it is installed in a cottage with a weak Internet connection and store a small amount of recordings from cameras. I do not have any increased requirements for it in terms of performance, large storage volume or high reliability. The main thing for me here is maximum compactness and simplicity.

How about the NUCNUC12DCMi7 this has a 10Gb network adapter which is what I'm looking for but again concern is compatiblity.

When you state it will be impossible to connect large volumes what do you mean. My plan is to run the DSM on a 4TB M.2 drive. Would this be possible?

1 час назад, xpe48 сказал:

How about the NUCNUC12DCMi7 this has a 10Gb network adapter which is what I'm looking for but again concern is compatiblity.

When you state it will be impossible to connect large volumes what do you mean. My plan is to run the DSM on a 4TB M.2 drive. Would this be possible?

However, start with the main thing: for what purposes do you need the DSM?

(this is not a gaming computer, there should be completely different approaches to DSM)

For example, if it's just an archive of home photos and videos with network access, then:

1) 4TB is very small nowadays

2) if there is only one disk (without RAID), then its failure will lead to the loss of your data

3) Core i7 12th Gen, 10Gb/s LAN - this is completely excessive power for such a task (money is wasted)

4) then why not use cloud services (Google, etc.)?

I'm looking to upgrade a legacy system so our use case is very specific.

1. 4TB is more than enough for us for how we use and upload files etc.

2. No need for raid, backups are done to external disk away from NAS for disaster recovery and without Raid less complicated setup. (KISS methodology has served well for over a decade, not looking to change habit or use case)

3. Possible but it offers built in 10gbe and a NVMe m.2 can be used as primary drive. I'm actually leaning towards just building my own system ITX if possible which has built in 10gbe. I'm less concerned about price and building it to last and work. I'm just unsure of the installation of Xpenology on what hardware etc. I still need to do quite a bit of reading up on how it can be installed and if there is caveats etc.

4. Will never use Cloud for security reasons and privacy purposes.

If anything I'm leaning towards building a small system, in which case would need to know if there is any limitations I should be aware of ie drivers etc with DSM?

В 24.01.2024 в 06:25, xpe48 сказал:

Marvell AQC113 is the chipset for the NUC 12 extreme, I looked at the ARC supported modules and don't see it listed. Does this mean it is not supported?

10GbE support in DSM is still very rare. Look for proven solutions here in the discussions.

I really still can't figure out why you need such a strange (in my opinion, obviously excessive in cost) configuration. Apparently, it's really something specific...