XPEnology Community

Update fail

Fastsnail

Hi Guys,

As typical noob I didn’t read prior update and wanted to go from 7.1 to 7.2 by installing it. After that my xpenology i kind of broken. On top of that I tried to format one of my hard drive. Now I’m not even sure if it is possible to repair it. 
please let me know if there is a way to fix it or do I need to start from scratch. 
Merry Christmas btw

Edited by Fastsnail

2 часа назад, Fastsnail сказал:

On top of that I tried to format one of my hard drive

Have you formatted the data disk? In what way? This definitely should not have been done, most likely the data will not be able to be restored.

2 часа назад, Fastsnail сказал:

As typical noob I didn’t read prior update and wanted to go from 7.1 to 7.2 by installing it

this can also be done, it was necessary to simultaneously update the bootloader version to the one that supports 7.2

If your array was configured with 1 disk fault tolerance, might still be possible to recover data. But you probly won't be able to rebuild the array since it will be in a degraded state & DSM messed up.

If data is important, I would try

-Boot into a Ubuntu live USB & try to mount the array as read only. https://kb.synology.com/en-br/DSM/tutorial/How_can_I_recover_data_from_my_DiskStation_using_a_PC

-If data is accessible, get a new hard drive that can hold all of the data, or at least your most important stuff.

-Copy data to new drive

-Reinstall Xpenology/DSM, setup & format from scratch

-Manually recreate shares & copy data back from new drive.