XPEnology Community

ARC on Fujitsu Futro S920 (working well)

Tomte

Hello,

I want to propose a very cheap and simple build for a 1-bay NAS: A Futro S920.

Why using this old fashioned thin client?

• it is very cheap (currently <30€ refurbished in Germany, ebay)
  • it has the size to fit a 3.5" HDD in, which is quite seldom for a thin client (90° power plug needed)
  • it has a SATA (and mSATA) port, as well as a 5V/12V Floppy powersupply
  • It has the CPU power of about a Raspi 4, idle power about 4W (without HDD)
  • It is completely passive, no fans.
  • Ram extendible up to 16GB, I assume (running 8GB right now)
  • I designed a 3.5" Hdd adapter to fix it inside to print in 3D (to be published), for 2.5" adapters are found on thingiverse
  • Using 2.5" Hdds, even a 2-bay system is possible.
  • I managed to install DSM with ARC, using the DS2422+ image. (V 7.2.1)
  •  

Regards, Tomte

WhatsApp Bild 2023-12-08 um 17.55.45_93f87c93.jpg

WhatsApp Bild 2023-12-08 um 17.55.46_0f0dad4c.jpg

Edited by Tomte

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Hello, I'm interested to build mini NAS based on Futro S920, so I have several questions. Because i am newbie in NAS building :))

1. Where did you buy the thin client? I looked for it on Ebay, and the prices will more than 40 Euros. I am in Estonia. Can you give me the link for Futro S920?

2. As I understand, the mSATA SSD and SATA port for hard drive (storage) will work at the same time. So, I plan to install the operation system in mSATA, and use harв drive only for storage.

3. Do you use the XPEnology as the OS for NAS? I read that you have 8GB RAM on the Futro, and how much space in mSATA storage does operation system use?

Best regards,

Oleg

Hello,

1. I bought it simply at Ebay. In Germany,, the prices seem to be lower. Look for Futro S920, it should show up. (when shipping to Estonia is an option)

Don't buy the cheaper S720 or S520.

2. Correct, both SATA ports work at the same time. You can get a msata to sata adapter card from chine for lower than 5€. With DSM/Xpenology, the OS is installed on all available HDDs, no choice, as much as I know. 

3. I am running a Raid 1 system with two 931.5 GB drives. I get 921GB Space, therfore, DSM took about 10GB.

Regards, Tomte

Edited by Tomte

Dear Tomte, I have one more question. How did you make a power cable for hard drive? I understand, that you used a SATA connector from one sidе, and what connector did you use from other side? And where did you connect it to the motherboard?

Best regards, 

Oleg

Dear ntxp, 

there is a floppy connector on the mainboard, as you can see on the photo above. 

It provides both, 12V and 5V. 

I soldered it out of this one, for example:

SATA Molex Floppy Power Cable ATX PC Netzteil Strom Adapter Kabel Verlängerung

This one is a good adapter for the mSata slot:

mSATA slot Mini Extender to 7 Pin SATA HDD Convert Card Adapter NEW

Regrads, Tomte

• 3 weeks later...

Dear Tomte,

I think that Futro 920 can use more hard drives. So, it has the PCIe port. What do you think about plugging the PCIe-SATA or PCIe-RAID controller on it? 

The controllers may be like that:

Simple SATA controller on ASM1064 chip:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005005557641758.html

RAID controller:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005005028945188.html

But it will need the PCIe rizer, and additional case for hard drives with separate power supply for HDDs.

It will be in future, when I will need to expand my storage...

Regards,

Oleg

Edited by ntxp

Dear Tomte, I bought thin client with a locked BIOS... It has the administrator's password on it. So, I can only wiev the parameters, but I cannot change them.

Maybe you know the way to unlock the BIOS?

Regards, 

Oleg 

IMG_20240210_231521.jpg

4 часа назад, ntxp сказал:

Dear Tomte, I bought thin client with a locked BIOS... It has the administrator's password on it. So, I can only wiev the parameters, but I cannot change them.

Maybe you know the way to unlock the BIOS?

just unplug the battery for a few minutes - this should reset the BIOS

image.thumb.png.865e8fec78c572770c560faa2251f033.png

Hello,

you can find it here: Arc on Github.

For a cheap SATA expansion, ist might be worth to search at Ali Express or Ebay for something like "m.2 SATA Adapter Key-A+E"

You will find something like on the picture attached. That should work, too. Costs about 10-15€.

Regards, Tomte

s-l1600.png

On 2/19/2024 at 6:28 PM, Glob4l said:

Hi, I have the same s920 model and would like to kindly know where I can find the loader you used...I have tried many but to no avail.
Thanks 

Thank you, I solved it! :))

Wich one did you use?

Hello,

I added more pictures for my 3.5" adapter to illustrate the assembly. Let me know if this helps.

Again, it is really a tight fit. You need a 90° SATA cable plug and remove the plastic parts poking out from the front towards the hdd.

For the image, go to releases page and take the latest. At the moment this would be "arc-24.2.21.img.zip"

Regards, Tomte

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Tomte said:

Hello,

I added more pictures for my 3.5" adapter to illustrate the assembly. Let me know if this helps.

Again, it is really a tight fit. You need a 90° SATA cable plug and remove the plastic parts poking out from the front towards the hdd.

For the image, go to releases page and take the latest. At the moment this would be "arc-24.2.21.img.zip"

Regards, Tomte

You're the best!

• Like 1

12 минут назад, djdmx сказал:

Can you share the project?

Sure, when I print it somewhere and check for fitting to thin client, I will share it on Thingiverse.

I also plan to give the source file in the project, so you can modify support legs if you will need it.

The source file is in SolidWorks 2022

Edited by ntxp
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, Tomte said:

Hello,

Regards, Tomte

In my case there's a little big problem as you can see in attached picture 😅

I'll try to modify the project and I'll let you know 😉

IMG_20240225_085257.jpg