XPEnology Community

Not new to xpenology but questions about migration path

denmalley

I've been using xpenology for about 6 years now, started out on a Dell T30 baremetal using jun's loader (let's call it server 1).  With the build starting to age, and disks reaching capacity, I thought it would be a good time to get a fresh set of disks.  This old build has 2 RAID1 pairs of 8TB HDDs. 

Around December of last year I started to consider upgrade options.  Since I had a running server, I felt the best path was to create a new build on different hardware so I'd be able to just fall back to server 1 if things went wrong.  I also saw that there were now methods becoming prevalent for loading the newer 7.x software.  Since I had acquired 2 14TB and 2 8TB disks I though I'd try out SHR to take advantage of the extra capacity that it affords.  I dug out an old PC and used ARPL to create a new loader and used migration assistant to attain all the data from server 1.   So now server 2 is running DSM 7.1.1-42962 Update 2.   Server 1 has been shut down for a while.

Server 2 is running fine, but has 8GB of RAM where Server 1 has 16TB ECC RAM.  I'd now like to move my disks back to the Server 1 but I'm unsure of the best way to go about it.  I've read up on the importance of disk order with RAID builds and migration, so I think I have the correct order of disks documented and can handle that part fine.  I'd like to be able to create a build with the latest version of DSM available on the new loader for server1.  I was hoping to just reinitialize the 8TB disks in that machine with a new raid config (probably SHR as well) so I can migrate them to server 2 to use as a backup.  My question is, once I set up Server 1 with a new loader, what will happen when I insert the disks from server 2 into this machine?  What will happen when I insert disks from a machine running an older version of DSM?  Should I rebuild the loader and upgrade server 2 to the newest DSM version before migrating the disks?

• 2 weeks later...