XPEnology Community

HP Microserver gen8 problem when booting from USB-stick

carltorn60

Hi guys,

Hope I'm in the right thread now. I have created a usb-drive with DS3622xs (TCRP-0.9.4.9) for my HP Microserver gen 8. Everything works great until I reboot the server. Then I end up with Grub rescue and that's it. I have 4 disc drives that I have detached and one SSD connected to ODD. But for some reason booting from internal USB drive key doesn't work. Booting works when I created the USB on my PC but not when I build it in TCRP. I have no clue why? Any help is much appreciated. I have googled for answers but I haven't found any.

boot_from_usb_hp_microserver_gen8_tinyredpill.png

Edited by carltorn60
Misspelling

• carltorn60 changed the title to HP Microserver gen8 problem when booting from USB-stick

Hi,

Please make sure you have C1E disabled in BIOS. This may have been reset for many reasons. (generic and not related to grub rescue issue)

SD-Card will never work unless its on a USB reader.

USB VID:PID should be set correctly otherwise DSM might think its a disk and will try to format it.

Edited by pocopico

8 hours ago, pocopico said:

Hi,

Please make sure you have C1E disabled in BIOS. This may have been reset for many reasons. (generic and not related to grub rescue issue)

SD-Card will never work unless its on a USB reader.

USB VID:PID should be set correctly otherwise DSM might think its a disk and will try to format it.

What's C1E? I have checked VID:PID and it's correct. Not sure what else I can do.

I was having the same issue, different server. Tried DS3622xs+ and DS918+ both with the same result. Also made sure that all C states and EIST (SpeedStep) were off.

Turned out that my BIOS was trying to boot the UEFI USB as Legacy. Switched to always boot UEFI and no problems now.

Edited by atifex