XPEnology Community

HP Microserver Gen8 fan replacement?

blue max

I have recently moved over to SSD only and the fan has become annoying. It's only running at 17%, but is audible.

There has been a lot written about this, but no definitive answer. I am happy to replace it with something like a be quiet! Silent Wings 4 120mm PWM fan. But it seems there are issues to overcome such as the proprietary connector, five wire wiring and finally the system overriding it. 

Anyone have a solution?

There is also a power supply fan, but not sure if that is actually audible and worth replacing too. Again, seems like it's a 5v one, so more complicated!

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for posting, but I have seen that video. Was just hoping for a few more real world experiences to gauge effectiveness with other fans. Given the popularity of the server, I'm surprised so few seem to have addressed. Though to be fair, the fan is not particularly loud. But with an all SSD system, it's the loudest part now.

Thanks for posting, but I have seen that video. Was just hoping for a few more real world experiences to gauge effectiveness with other fans. Given the popularity of the server, I'm surprised so few seem to have addressed. Though to be fair, the fan is not particularly loud. But with an all SSD system, it's the loudest part now.

I have changed power supply fan with Noctua and reduce noise like a botfly.

Some friends change 12 cm fan and need iLO mod with options to modify rpm and in same cases don’t works with Noctua or other fans.

Original

2ea4f509ffdda360e9fcf1158090edad.jpg
b45d4bb730c926fb5239ae061e70323a.jpg
d16b908fcb81a2bad80951972d22c0f1.jpg

With Noctua

16e00c8346ad9a089a8dc20ef4320a4f.jpg
34374d89836639f4a2b0b045d05a14a6.jpg
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, blue max said:

I'd like to know more if you are able please.

Change fan psu is very easy and reduce the noise.

12 cm fan rear is more complicate and for example, with Noctua and Nvidia Tesla gpu HP Microserver Gen 8 power off because the fan not noise but haven´t high pressure and raise the temperatures with transcoding or any high work.

Edited by apriliars3
  • Thanks 1

Thanks again @apriliars3

With the psu fan, did you use a 12v or 5v model please? I read someone was unable to use the existing fan header because he thought it might only be 5v.

It appears the 12v 20mm model should fit as a direct replacement to the original. I'm going to give it a try. My research shows the original is 8200rpm, with a static pressure of 9mm H2O and 9.4CFM (0.263m3 / min). At a volume of 30.5 dB(A)

The Noctua NF-A4x20 FLX 12V has three settings 3700/4400/5000rpm, but only has a static pressure of 2.26mm H2O and 5.5 CFM at 5000rpm. Though at only 14.9 dB(A).

This seems a considerable drop in performance, though a corresponding drop in audible volume. 

6 minutes ago, blue max said:

OK thanks. I bought the 20mm model, but that's fine. It is the 12v model. Did you use the standard, low or super low speed connector? And any issues with power supply overheating?

I think use super low speed connector. No problems, I have free space and good fresh and cold air. Don´t worry if you have same conditions, psu works well with more temperatures and its reliable for reducing the noise.

Edited by apriliars3
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

@apriliars3 I have a problem trying to fit the power supply fan. I hope you may be able to help. There are three wires (black, red and yellow) on the Noctua fan. The original has only two (black and red). I had to cut the original connector, because the Noctua obviously won't fit. Did you do something with the yellow cable? Additionally, I find the fan is not able to start on it's own. It needs a push to get going. Once going it goes ok though.

Edited by blue max
update

@apriliars3 I have a problem trying to fit the power supply fan. I hope you may be able to help. There are three wires (black, red and yellow) on the Noctua fan. The original has only two (black and red). I had to cut the original connector, because the Noctua obviously won't fit. Did you do something with the yellow cable? Additionally, I find the fan is not able to start on it's own. It needs a push to get going. Once going it goes ok though.

The adaptor has only two.

I don’t cut any cable.

862872d93e26594a23873e87b7ec782b.jpg