XPEnology Community

Jbod to Raid 5

GopalM

Hi, I'm running xpenology with 4tb x2 on jbod mode... I want to change to raid 5 by adding another 4tb drive, as its not possible to change directly,  i see basic to raid 5 is possible, so can i add 4tb drive in basic mode, backup files to new volume from jbod, delete jbod and make raid??

How about apps backup?? Like emby, sonarr, deluge,etc...these apps running directly from xpenology itself, not under docker fyi... 
Note: 
1)i didn't buy another 4tb hdd yet
2)current size usage on jbod only 3tb, which should sufficient to transfer to single 4tb drive 

3) i don't have other hdd laying around to do cold backup

57 минут назад, GopalM сказал:

I want to change to raid 5 by adding another 4tb drive, as its not possible to change directly,  i see basic to raid 5 is possible, so can i add 4tb drive in basic mode, backup files to new volume from jbod, delete jbod and make raid??

It is best to do this using an external media (network resource or USB-HDD), then the procedure will be simpler and safer. But you can try it this way:

1) insert new HDD 4Tb into DSM, create new storage pool (pool 2), create new shared folder on pool 2

2) use Hyper Backup to back up system configurations, shared folders, and applications/packages to shared folder on pool 2

3) remove storage pool 1

4) create NEW storage pool 1 (SHR) and volume 1

5) use Hyper Backup to restore volume 1 from backup

6) remove storage pool 2

7) add new HDD to storage pool 1

• Confused 1

12 hours ago, dj_nsk said:

It is best to do this using an external media (network resource or USB-HDD), then the procedure will be simpler and safer. But you can try it this way:

1) insert new HDD 4Tb into DSM, create new storage pool (pool 2), create new shared folder on pool 2

2) use Hyper Backup to back up system configurations, shared folders, and applications/packages to shared folder on pool 2

3) remove storage pool 1

6) remove storage pool 2

Hey thanks for the feedback, as I'm not familiar with these, I'm just confused and decided to go withv USB-HDD method, mind to elaborate it?? Looks like need to buy hdd dock for this

1 час назад, GopalM сказал:

Hey thanks for the feedback, as I'm not familiar with these, I'm just confused and decided to go withv USB-HDD method, mind to elaborate it?? Looks like need to buy hdd dock for this

1) connect USB HDD to DSM

2) use Hyper Backup to backup system configurations, shared folders, and applications/packages to USB HDD

3) remove storage pool 1

5) use Hyper Backup to restore DSM from backup

6) insert new HDD 4Tb into DSM and add it to storage pool 1

On 8/1/2023 at 6:38 PM, dj_nsk said:

3) remove storage pool 1

6) remove storage pool 2

Hi, i bought another 4tb now... But didn't buy hdd dock and decided to go first method... I did setup all, but under hyperbackup, i cant choose other apps all, only Synology official apps are supported for backup