XPEnology Community

Updating an older Synology DS running Intel x64 cpu using the loaders?

Benoire

Hello people!

I used the various loaders for many years until I purchased a DS1821+ in 2021 which has served me well.  With the changes to Google Workspace for backing up my data to the cloud I am going to purchase another device I use to backup to that is remote to the house as here in NZ we have fibre to the home with the base package being 300/100 so decent level performance for backing up but also the ability to collect the backup unit if I need to locally restore via my Lan for full speed performance.

In NZ there are a number of older DS units such as the DS415+ with drives going fairly cheaply which seemed to be perfect for backup target and while they are coming EOL for updates I remembered about this site and wondered whether the latest loaders would allow the DS to boot up to a newer version if / when I needed to upgrade beyond the official updates? I'd imagine that getting the loader on to the unit would be the harder task though?

Anyone got any thoughts and/or done this before?

Thanks,

Chris