XPEnology Community

Cannot access NAS after update to 7.2

TemplarB

Please help!

I was updating my BAREMETAL - Microserver Gen8 that ran DSM 7.0.1 DS3622xs+. I've read the forum and made the following:

in DSM 7.0.1 gui I manually updated to 7.2.0

waited 10+ min, it hasn't rebooted but hasn't accessed HDD either so I manually rebooted it (possibly my mistake)

loaded onto TCRP (no friend)

run the following

./rploader.sh clean

./rploader.sh update now

./rploader.sh fullupgrade now

./rploader.sh build ds3622xsp-7.2.0-64570 withfriend

(also run on another attempt w/o friend)

exitcheck.sh reboot

On the first try I after reboot got

Loading Linux

error: premature end of file /bzImage-friend.

checked the sd-card, it had 67% filled

rebooted to loader gui and repeated

now after reboot the system shows a 'normal' start (i.e. like before the update, see screen) but the system doesn't access HDDs, only connection. The local ip-address of my old DSM isn't used, but another is used. There is 'SynologyNAS' device but under that new address and old port I cannot access it.

I used Synology assistant and it shows that the system is 7.2.0 and 'recoverable' when I connect it says         

We've detected that the hard drives of your current DS3622xs+ had been moved from a previous DS3622xs+, and installing a newer DSM is required before continuing.

what should I do?

Screenshot 2023-06-26 184454.jpg

Update to a latest version of the loader, clean the loader and build the loader again, better do it from scratch, after that just go to the new IP and do a recover system, the friend will update the bootloader and the system should boot normally, if it asks to install new dsm, latest loader is dsm7.2.0 update 1 so you will have to download and update your system after latest loader rebuild

Edited by djvas335
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, djvas335 said:

Update to a latest version of the loader,

Thanks for your answer! Because I'm a total noob, let me set all the steps right, please check if I haven't missed a thing.

1. Load TCRP shell

in terminal run

./rploader.sh clean
./rploader.sh update now
./rploader.sh fullupgrade now

Do I need to build my image as well? i.e. running

./rploader.sh build ds3622xsp-7.2.0-64570 withfriend

?

Should I use the exact line above i.e. ds3622xsp-7.2.0-64570 because PAT-file is named just "DSM_DS3622xs+_64570" - note plus and no version number. I took PAT-file here https://archive.synology.com/download/Os/DSM in the directory 7.2-64570 (with Update 1)

about 

better do it from scratch,

Do you mean take sd-card from the server and burn TCRP there? Instead of running the code above?

2 hours ago, djvas335 said:

that just go to the new IP and do a recover system

I will get new IP if I set a new MAC-address I guess, right? and "recover" do you mean after updating the loader (first three lines above) and building on the latest bimage I reboot by running code

exitcheck.sh reboot

and choose in the GRUB menu "RedPill ... (USB, Verbose) and then use Synology assistent to find the server

Or should I use in GRUB the line "... with Friend"

Or something else?

Should I temporarily disconnect HDDs?

Edited by TemplarB

Maybe you could try to upgrade like I did a few days ago. I was on DSM 7.1 installed with the same "manual" mode you used. After asking for help one helpful member helped me suggesting me to create a new USB with Arc, a bootloader that makes it easy to configure and build a new image. I followed the steps he mentioned and everything worked for me, maybe you can try.

Regards

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, PerryMason23 said:

Maybe you could try to upgrade like ... create a new USB with Arc, a bootloader that makes it easy to configure and build a new image. I followed the steps he mentioned and everything worked for me, maybe you can try.

thanks I'll try it a bit later if no easier methods are presented - my server has SD-card inside and it is located in such a way that opening it is a bit of a problem

Update. I've decided to go cardinally and after saving last User_config.json and checking it (unsure why but it lacked e.g. serial number and had a different vid/pid even despite I haven't moved sd-card) and run all commands from this tutorial: 

Namely:

./rploader.sh clean
./rploader.sh update
./rploader.sh fullupgrade
./rploader.sh identifyusb
./rploader.sh serialgen DS3622xs+ 
./rploader.sh satamap
./rploader.sh build ds3622xsp-7.2.0-64570

While I haven't specified "withfriend" it added it at the end according to thhe log.

I rebooted and chose in GRUB last option (something with friend) It worked to the final message ("loading kexec...") no errors

I opened Synology Assistant and it found the "recoverable" (no surprises, I rebuilt with new serial, so it is new). It has only one option "recover" I pressed it, it says "installing DSM" quickly goes from 0 to 100% and writes "restarting in 10:00" and counts down. Meanwhile the server reboots and I choose 1st option in GRUB (load USB, Verbose)

it shows that "booting the kernel." like usual. However

Synology Assistant does NOT initially sees it and later goes back to option "recover"

The same here.

My Gen8 was on DSM 7.1.1, tried to upgrade it to 7.2.0 and got into Recover(able) loop.

What worked from me was:

- pulled out every one of the HDDs

- connected it to a PC

- Wiped out (filled with zeroes) ONLY the system partition of the HDD - something like 2.4 or 2.7 GB - with the help of MiniTool Partition Wizard

- rebuilt the loader for the DSM 7.1.1

- after restart Synology assistant found an uninstalled DS (since I wiped away the system partition of all drives) so I just installed manually 7.1.1

- after the next restart logged in to the DS, went to the Storage manager and rebuild/repaired the volume

Hope this helps.

Edited by asaf
  • Thanks 1

If you are using tcrp, then you need to choose friend, so that friend can update your setup when you change firmware and leave it on that boot option

On 6/27/2023 at 8:59 PM, TemplarB said:

Update. I've decided to go cardinally and after saving last User_config.json and checking it (unsure why but it lacked e.g. serial number and had a different vid/pid even despite I haven't moved sd-card) and run all commands from this tutorial: 

Namely:

./rploader.sh clean
./rploader.sh update
./rploader.sh fullupgrade
./rploader.sh identifyusb
./rploader.sh serialgen DS3622xs+ 
./rploader.sh satamap
./rploader.sh build ds3622xsp-7.2.0-64570

While I haven't specified "withfriend" it added it at the end according to thhe log.

I rebooted and chose in GRUB last option (something with friend) It worked to the final message ("loading kexec...") no errors

I opened Synology Assistant and it found the "recoverable" (no surprises, I rebuilt with new serial, so it is new). It has only one option "recover" I pressed it, it says "installing DSM" quickly goes from 0 to 100% and writes "restarting in 10:00" and counts down. Meanwhile the server reboots and I choose 1st option in GRUB (load USB, Verbose)

it shows that "booting the kernel." like usual. However

Synology Assistant does NOT initially sees it and later goes back to option "recover"

• Thanks 1

I solved the problem by taking out SD-card with TCRP and loader, formatting it, then burning Arc loader from here, starting it and it does everything almost automatically (most prompts just need 'press ok'). It returned me to my old ip-address and loaded after reboot with re-installing DSM and it works w/o issues since

• Thanks 1