XPEnology Community

Best build HW for Xpenology

Bossman

Question

Guys i am thinking about making new build for myself and couple friends, i have spotted topic that lists specific hardware and services used by forum people.

So is there a knowledge, what would be the best hardware so 99% stuff could work without any fixes done by terminal ect.

I am sure, some of you guys have experience and can see what "hw" is best for adopting DMS and could share their exp.

I would really appreciate this.

I am planning to do slim systems (smaller case, meaby JONSBO N1 ITX case) for 4 and 6 disks for my friends and myself. Friends does not know much of the linux, so i want to prepare them all. Later on, I will give them site, with reviewed synology updates that has been sucessfuly installed by me on same hardware.

6 answers to this question

8 часов назад, Bossman сказал:

I am planning to

First you need to clarify for which tasks you plan to use DSM. I suspect that in your case it will be a home NAS for storing an archive of files; viewing photos and videos; downloading from the Internet; perhaps your own website, backups of home PCs.

Right?

Then it is better to choose the DS918+ - we will consider the limitations/ preferences for hardware in the next step :)

11 часов назад, Bossman сказал:

ad 1. 2 cams 1080p with voice.

ad 2. 3 threads, yes just watching movies 1080p and 2k

1. Ok, the model DS918+ I proposed earlier is perfect for this.
  2. JONSBO N1 only allows ITX motherboards and "SFX≤150mm" power supply - remember it
  3. CPU which will be enough for your tasks:
    1. Intel with internal (built-in) GPU, 4 cores (there is no need to buy the newest and most powerful processors, a 6-7-8 generation of Intel CPU is quite suitable, if you can find it)
    2. the choice of CPU and the choice of motherboard are interrelated - take into account
    3. you can take a motherboard with a built-in processor, for example - J4125B-ITX (but you will need an additional SATA-controller to connect more than 2 disks)
  4. Motherboard:
    1. ITX only (limited by the case)
    2. 4-6 SATA ports (if there is less, use an additional adapter SATA - for example)
    3. 1-2 Gigabit LAN ports
  5. RAM: minimum - 4Gb, better - 8Gb, more - optional/possible (most likely will never be used 100% :) ), DDR4 (or DDR3 depends on the motherboard)
  6. HDD disks: it is advisable to choose the same volume and models oriented for use in NAS (for example Seagate IronWolf). The volume is at your discretion. But keep in mind that when creating a RAID (I recommend - SHR), one of the disks will be used to protect against failures
  7. Power Supply: 
    1. SFX only (see your Case)
    2. Usually a minimum power of about 300 watts is sufficient
  8. USB flash drive for bootloader - any 4Gb :) (or HDD/SSD 2.5" of the smallest volume)
  9. If you plan to load your server with something else (for example, running virtual machines), then you need to increase the requirements for CPU, RAM, Power Supply

Edited by dj_nsk