XPEnology Community

Drive # is assigned on random order

dannieboiz

my hardware is of a ReadyNAS 4200 V2 Since DSM 6 I've been having issues, took the plunge and did DSM 7 all is good and everything is working. I started with 1 drive in the first slot, it appears that between 1-4 there's no issue with the drive # assignment but drives 5-12 the number appears to be randomly assigned. 

The first drive that is inserted in slot 5 and above automatically gets drive 7 regardless of which slot I put it in. At the moment, there's nothing on the NAS yet so I'd really like to get this sorted out, with 12 drives and something fail, it will be a nighmare to identify it which leads me to the next issue. when I go to locate drive, the amber light doesn't flash. 

FWIW, my MB have a total of 6 ports and only 4 are being routed to the front bays. 

Edited by dannieboiz

Rebuild the image and solved the display issues but discovered a new issue.

The issue drive numbers are assigned according to the sequence the drives are installed. 

IE: If I have drive 1-4 installed and I add a new drive, regardless of which slot I use it will always assign the drive number according to the drive number and not the bay number. Again this only happen with drives 5 and above. Is this normal behavior? I can probably live with this if I just make sure to add the drive sequence properly and hope that the numbers doesn't change. So far it didn't during my testing.