XPEnology Community

Migration : DS3612 (4.2) to Xpenoboot 5.2-5644.5

Ilikebunny

Hi everyone !

I would like to upgrade my XPEnology NAS (DS3612 DSM 4.2 build 3211) to XPEnoboot 5.2-5644.5 (14/02/2016).

I understand there is a huge gap between those 2 versions, so is it possible ?

If yes, I think I have to make a new USB bootable with the right image, and then start the nas in "XPEnoboot Install /Upgrade" mode.

Then, I will make the upgrade using the right .pat ?

BTW, I use ISCSI LUN only with this NAS.

Thanks guys !

with Real Synology boxes, I recall I had to upgrade in stages.

4.2 to 4.3

then from 4.3 to maybe 5.0

and then from 5.0 to 5.2

jumping directly from 4.2 to 5.2 might not be such a great idea.

lets see what the others have to said regarding this.

I dont think I've ever seen a question like this before. Are you running XPEnology on Synology hardware, like a real Synology box? I might be missing something here, but why wouldn't you run full Syno DSM if you have the hardware to do it? I don't have any answers for you (unfortunately), but I'm intrigued to know why someone would use XPEnology when Syno DSM is usable.

Lol, ok. That makes way more sense. In that case I would recommend doing incremental upgrades like AllGamer suggested; 4.2 -> 4.3 and so on. I doubt you will need to install the minor revisions in between, but updating incrementally on the minor and then major versions is probably a good idea.

I recently migrated and upgraded a real DS212j DSM 4.2 to XPE/DSM 5X

I used the control panel update to take the 212j up through the 4.2>4.3 process and all the way to 5.2, then swapped the disks to XPE hardware.

I'd imagine your process would be similar;

Go through the 4.2 to 4.3 update and go to the highest service pack within 4.3 (downloadable from https://usdl.synology.com/download/DSM/ ... date_pack/) but don't install DSM 5.0 if its offered.

Then boot XPE 5.2 and you should get server home page/migration webpage saying disks have moved from DS3612, have the 5.2 pat file ready for manual update.

During migration turn off the automatic DSM update!

Once installed then apply updates to U5

Good practice to take a backup of critical data if you can before you play around.