XPEnology Community

Supermicro 2u 12 Bay Chassis - Flashing Red

tworhythms

Hi All!

Brand new to XPenology and so far, I'm loving it!

The server configuration is a bit overkill but I was initially going to use this configuration with FreeNAS and then decided to try XPenology. Here is my configuration:

Dell R710 (32 GB RAM) with LSI 9200-8e flashed with IT firmware - connected to Supermicro 2u 12 Bay Chassis (JBOD)

Experimenting with 2 x 3TB drives before loading up the enclosure with the final drive configuration (8 x 6TB WD Red).

Everything installed fine and the drives are reporting properly. System health is good (drives are brand new). So, here's where things get interesting... the drive carrier LEDs on the Supermicro chassis are flashing RED all the time? If I shutdown the R710, the LEDs on the Supermicro remain flashing until I soft reset the enclosure. Then, the LEDs are off until XPenology boots and then start flashing red again.

Does anyone have any ideas? Please be gentle as I'm not a "linux" first guy (Windows IT Admin) Thanks!

I'd suspect that there is some proprietary LED controller circuitry on the supermicro backplane/chassis that only works when connected to the 'right' supermicro server/controller combination to receive LED commands. When XPE boots and loads the drivers for the controller that probably triggers the LEDs to start flashing (some sort of boot up sequence) but as there are no other control signals they just stay flashing.

Thanks for the quick response! I was thinking the same thing...

Apparently, when the drive light is flashing red it indicates something is not happy with SMART. Does XPenology put up a fuss when using non-NAS rated drives by any chance? These LEDs didn't flash when I tried this setup under Windows or FreeNAS. The temporary drives are Seagate ST3000s.

I also read that FreeBSD can't make use of these LEDs but Linux can so, perhaps that's why they didn't complain under FreeNAS.

Well, upon further research; I found a video on YouTube that shows three different variations of SuperMicro drive LED blink patterns. Mine is flashing quickly which could point to a disk that is being located or marked. I'm now wondering if, when XPenology boots, it locates the drives and inadvertently sets them to flash by that process?

I can tell you how to turn them off.

You should be able to find twelve 'locate' files under /sys/class/enclosure/*/*. You might have to do some directory traversal before you can find them. Once you do, change the content of each of the locate file from "1" to "0" and save.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1