XPEnology Community

USB Ports to work as ESata ONLY

aTm10452

Hello, I am using Xpenology DSM3615XS 6.2-23739  Legacy Mode.
My Plan is to Dedicate 2 USB Ports  for ESATA  Only, cz i Intend to Usb my  256 GB 3.0 USB as ESATA HDD for my Virtual Machine  Volume which is running out of Space as shown in the Picture Below.
Things u need to know  i have a problem on my machine i tested so many DSM version and  on all Ports all USB will be ejected after 5 secs,However in Virtual  Machine the Usb  ports work great.
I am using  X79-ZD3 Motherboard from Aliexpress with a CPU Intel Xeon E5 2620-V2  16 GB DDR3 REG-ECC  with 14 USB ports All in All 
For Some Reason this Board works on two  DSM Versions ONLY  
1-DSM3615XS  15047 UEFI 
2-DSM3615XS  23739 Legacy 

I watched this Video : I tried to Understand his Logic ...But i end up with All Ports as  ESATA  or  I need to use all USB ports  whihc are Preconfigured then  it will start detecting the new USB i added as  ESATA.

If  someone can Help me My plan is  to  make 
a)12  internal HDD 
b)2 Esata
c)12 USB ports 

If there s a way to know which are the 3.0 usb Ports so i can chose 2 of them as Esata 
and if it's better to set the USB ports as Internal HDD it would be better, since i can add it to the Volume 2
Thank you in advance.

Kazam_screenshot_00000.png

Edited by aTm10452

7 hours ago, aTm10452 said:

For Some Reason this Board works on two  DSM Versions ONLY  
1-DSM3615XS  15047 UEFI 
2-DSM3615XS  23739 Legacy

that's normal and documented

https://xpenology.com/forum/topic/13333-tutorialreference-6x-loaders-and-platforms/

7 hours ago, aTm10452 said:

I watched this Video : I tried to Understand his Logic ...But i end up with All Ports as  ESATA  or  I need to use all USB ports  whihc are Preconfigured then  it will start detecting the new USB i added as  ESATA.

the synology default looks like this

esataportcfg="0xff000"
internalportcfg="0xfff"
usbportcfg="0x300000"

for extending usb from 2 to 14 you would need this

usbportcfg="0x3fff00000"

without any esata and only usb its this

esataportcfg="0x0"
usbportcfg="0x3fff000"

i din't get the point why  you want to define two usb ports as esata ports, these are both external devices so in the way how dsm uses the two types would be no difference

i did not try this but i guess having two usb ports recognised as esata would need to overlap

esataportcfg="0x3000"
usbportcfg="0x3fff000"

that way 2 esata ports are overlapped by two usb ports

thats a ivalid configuration and its not safe  to use as dsm can react different to this in later versions

in theory the point where the overlap happens can be shifted, it would be the two "bits" (4 bits a hex number)

esata 00 0000 0000 0011 0000 0000 0000

usb    11 1111 1111 1111 0000 0000 0000

if its two other usb ports to be esata like this

esata 00 0000 1100 0000 0000 0000 0000

usb    11 1111 1111 1111 0000 0000 0000

->

esataportcfg="0xc0000"
usbportcfg="0x3fff000"

don't blame anyone when your system does not work es expected and i did not test these numbers, there are chosen in the way i think it would work

also keep inn mind there settings will be back to defaults when updating a bigger version like 6.2.2 -> 6.2.3 (~250MB pat file)

in that case the system starts with default values and might not recognize the disks that are now unknown (only the two first usb ports would work) and you would need to change the values again

Thank you for replying .....My point is to  dedicate 2 usb ports to work as Esata or Internal HDD    so i can add them to the raid  for my  volume 2   cz it s a virtual machine volume  so if i put any usb in these 3.0  two ports  the DSM will detect them as  Internal HDD ... however the rest of the ports DSM will detect them as normal USB 

why not using a sata controller, your board has 3 pcie slots using a JMB585 based card (pcie 3.0 support) would be even better than a usb 3.0 drive, even a 8 port lsi fusion based sas controller is possible or if you have to a pcie 1x based 88se9215 (there are even M.2 sata controller you could use)

imho esata would not change anything compared to usb, it will be shown as external storage and you cant create a raid with it

when it comes to ease of mint and performance you should buy a sata controller to add more ports and use them the way its intended

i cant see why your sata disks (screenshot) are all over the place, you have 4 internal ports and ...?

I have 4 internal ports  and  a pcie to Sata (has 6 ports)  4 of them are  used while 2 other disks  are plugged in sata ports  which is in the board 
and i have  a Pcie to 3.0 USB Ports (4* 3.0 ports)  i had to buy this cz all the  build it ports won't work in all DSM  Versions, they do detect the USB  when connected but in 4 secs or so they eject the USB  by itself  ( i tries with NTFS,Ext4,Ext,Fat32 ......) same for all 

Anw  i have no HDD anymore I simply  have a 256GB USB 3.0 i intend to use it  as  internal HDD  to extend the Virtual Machine BTrfs Volume 
Please check this video and give me your opinion: 

3 hours ago, aTm10452 said:

Anw  i have no HDD anymore I simply  have a 256GB USB 3.0

must be a old unit out of waranty so why not peel off the usb case and use the internal sata drive? (there are a few where the internal drive is not a independent sata anymore so work in a way you can put it back together)

the video is pretty much all you need to know, 1st define all as internal to find out whats the position of the usb 3.0 you want to use as intenal and then define all other usb ports as usb, leaving only the ports meant to be internal in the line of internel ports

mas disk set to 24 (default is 12)

internal 1111 1111 1111 1111 1111 1111 = ffffff

usb      0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000

esata   0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000

example for two usb drives as internel

internal 0000 0001 1000 1111 1111 1111 = 18fff

usb       1111 1110 0111 0000 0000 0000 = fe7000

esata   0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000

I have  added  45 HDD Succesfully as u told me  I set all Ports as Intyernalcfg, no sata no usb Ports 
I have 14 USB ports  I inserted  2  USB  3.0 as testing 

1-I Managed to Make the 1TB External USB as  a SHR  by itself  I managed to create a Volume and a shared Folder Succesfully it works as  a Normal Internal HDD however i can t Read  Smart 

2- after finishing with the 1TB i inserted along with it another USB  238GB  3.0 USB my plan was to heck the number of  Ports the DSM reads  
I kept the 1TB plugged in  (it was Disk number 21) 
The problem is no matter in what other port i plugged the 238GB USB  it keeps reading it as   disk number 22. 

My plan is to try setting only two ports as Internal while the rest  are USBcfg 
IF that works i will post it again so everyone can learn 

Kazam_screenshot_00002.png

Kazam_screenshot_00003.png

Kazam_screenshot_00004.png

8 hours ago, aTm10452 said:

I have  added  45 HDD Succesfully as u told me  I set all Ports as Intyernalcfg, no sata no usb Ports

really? read/count again, my suggestion was 24 drives - bcause higher number might be trouble when it comes to raid, 24 is safe

1-I Managed to Make the 1TB External USB as  a SHR  by itself  I managed to create a Volume and a shared Folder Succesfully it works as  a Normal Internal HDD however i can t Read  Smart 

you forgot the video you linked above,that was mentioned, you can still peel off the usb (reversable) and use the sata drive

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=adh34zyG9Hs

2- after finishing with the 1TB i inserted along with it another USB  238GB  3.0 USB my plan was to heck the number of  Ports the DSM reads  
I kept the 1TB plugged in  (it was Disk number 21) 
The problem is no matter in what other port i plugged the 238GB USB  it keeps reading it as   disk number 22. 

might be normal when usb drives are just counted in the row how they are found, we also see this with the lsi sas controller drivers with sata drives

that migh get a bigger problem when booting up with more then the two usb drives made internal

the meant to be external usb might and up as 21 and push the other "internal" drives one up each and if you just defined 21 and 22 as internal it will push one of the internals to a external position

you would need to test what happens when one ore more usb drives are added when the system is running and what happens when you boot with the drives connected, also you would need this with all 12 other usb positions - lots of work and if's

much easier and safer to get the sata drives out of the usb cases

17 minutes ago, IG-88 said:

really? read/count again, my suggestion was 24 drives - bcause higher number might be trouble when it comes to raid, 24 is safe

you forgot the video you linked above,that was mentioned, you can still peel off the usb (reversable) and use the sata drive

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=adh34zyG9Hs

might be normal when usb drives are just counted in the row how they are found, we also see this with the lsi sas controller drivers with sata drives

that migh get a bigger problem when booting up with more then the two usb drives made internal

the meant to be external usb might and up as 21 and push the other "internal" drives one up each and if you just defined 21 and 22 as internal it will push one of the internals to a external position

you would need to test what happens when one ore more usb drives are added when the system is running and what happens when you boot with the drives connected, also you would need this with all 12 other usb positions - lots of work and if's

much easier and safer to get the sata drives out of the usb cases

Ok i'll try to test  all what u said ...So far i have another Problem the DSM  won't Turn off or Restart no matter if  I use Putty or do it from DSM ....The ping is Gone can't see the DSM   after shutdown BUT the PC is still Turned on ....If i unplug the PC from Power will this Damage my HDD ?! 

I tried to Boot  with  one USB on ...I waited for  700 Sequence ping it didn t give me an IP  so i had to  restart and turn it on again ..I received a Ping after 300 Sequence Ping 

I know SHR  can't  be build on more than 24 Disks...But i can create 2 SHR and make Clone Volumes as Backup ....I found this Option at a Software called Hyper Backup  I haven t done it yet but  i saw the option there 

One thing u need to  take into consideration  the DSM is installed on Volume 2  and  nothing is done on that Volume except  Virtual Machines.

My next  Test would be to  find a way to dedicate  2 ports as USBcfg   while everything Else as Internal cfg   
I am using 6.2-23739 
If you have any other  stuff you would  like me to test  let me know before i update the DSM to a newer Version maybe this will fix the Shutdown/Restart  Error i have

Kazam_screenshot_00005.png