XPEnology Community

HP ML110 G7 & DSM 5.0

markhaines

Hi, just wanted to report my experience that DSM 5.0 is working fine on my HP ML110 G7 (booting off internal USB stick). :smile:

Question 1: I haven't needed to yet, but will shortly be in the position where I need to shuffle the HDDs round a little. Will I be able to 'hot swap' the disks in and out or do i need to do it whilst off - I believe the SATA caddies are labelled as 'Not Hot Swap' when using it under Windows, I've also got an HP N54L though which has the BIOS revision to allow this - was curious if there was anything similar available for ML110?

Question 2: I am using the onboard SATA ports in IDE mode, am I able to shuffle the disks around, reconnecting them to different SATA ports or will this confuse the Synology OS? I'd previously used the system with an HP P400 RAiD controller and that was really tolerant in this regard. I should really have done some experimenting before I loaded the data on the array (6 x 2TB) but it's a bit late now...

Any advice appreciated.

Cheers

Mark

Hi, just wanted to report my experience that DSM 5.0 is working fine on my HP ML110 G7 (booting off internal USB stick). :smile:

Question 1: I haven't needed to yet, but will shortly be in the position where I need to shuffle the HDDs round a little. Will I be able to 'hot swap' the disks in and out or do i need to do it whilst off - I believe the SATA caddies are labelled as 'Not Hot Swap' when using it under Windows, I've also got an HP N54L though which has the BIOS revision to allow this - was curious if there was anything similar available for ML110?

Question 2: I am using the onboard SATA ports in IDE mode, am I able to shuffle the disks around, reconnecting them to different SATA ports or will this confuse the Synology OS? I'd previously used the system with an HP P400 RAiD controller and that was really tolerant in this regard. I should really have done some experimenting before I loaded the data on the array (6 x 2TB) but it's a bit late now...

Any advice appreciated.

Cheers

Mark

Shuffling around IDE/SATA drives on the server that was not designed for proper power management and hot-swappable will most likely damage them and the ports on the motherboard. I would advise you to revise your plan and shutdown the server for disk changing operations.