I've had a stable DSM 5.2 running for quite a while now. So I thought it was a good idea to upgrade it to 6.1.7. Also, because there is a good tutorial for that (i'm not that much of an expert, but have always managed with the help of this forum and not trying to have the lastest versions). It all went very smooth, until the point where I needed to install. An that's where I screwed up. It wasn't that clear in the tutorial, but I forgot to install manually. I was to quick to press install, so when it didn't ask for the DS image, I thought 'uh oh'.
So now I've got a system which is bricked at 6.2-23739. But I can't get it to downgrade to 6.1. So just to make it extra clear: I didn't accidentally upgrade from 6.1 to 6.2, but it went wrong during my upgrade from 5.2.Off course I've scanned the forum for the various downgrade solutions; the extra disk an the migration options (to DS3617XS or with the 5.2 bootloader). They mostly speak of a 6.1 previous version.
So what have I tried:
- The migration options, without an extra HDD -> Did not work. When I am on the 6.1 3617XS synology assistant doesn't find it. And every other migration option (off course with consistently re-imaging the bootloader) constantly gave me the error that I needed to update beyond the 23739 version (10) error code.
- I've tried multiple times to downgrade with the empty extra HDD via the following route:
Boot with 5.2 install / upgrade option
Install 6.1 from tutorial
Reboot with 'fresh' 1.02b Jun bootloader
This works as long as I have only the extra HDD. Then I can get a working 6.1 version without volume, which I can restart, shut down, etc. But the trouble comes when I plug my original HDD's. Not on SATA 0, but above. Then it always goes to restore, and then i'm back at 6.2 and have to start all over again.
From the various tutorials i've tried the following with a working 6.1:
- Plug the HDD's while the system was still running. They were visible, but 'unusable'. The tutorial said to reboot... but then -> restore option from the synology web assistant. I can't login.
- Turned it off; plugged them in, restarted: then they are migratable, but after the reboot: again restore.
- I've also tried only my 4 HDD's, without the extra SSD; no change.
I'm now lost and don't know what to do anymore. I run a C2750 board with 16 GB ECC RAM and 4x3TB disks and a 250GB SSD for downloading.Maybe the only thing mentionable is that the C2750 has 4 SATA 3 ports of which 2 are SATA_0 and SATA_1, then 4 times SATA 2, which are SATA_2 to 5.(And the the other 2 SATA 3; SATA_M0 and M1)
My original setup was the SSD on SATA_0, SATA_1 empty and the HDD's on SATA_2 to 5. But with the extra HDD, it is know on SATA_0, the SSD is on SATA_1, but the HDD drives are then still on SATA_2 to 5. I don't know if this could influence the downgrade?
But please help me out. What am I doing wrong? Thank you very much for your help!!