XPEnology Community

Advice needed, looking for upgrade from DS112

aurius

Posted (edited)

Hello guys, noob here. Hope this questions not too stupid and greetings from Indonesia.

I'm currently using DS112 and looking to upgrade it as it already quite slow for me. I just need a basic network storage functions, Download Station, Surveillance Station (for future, 1 cam only), access from outside the network (like quickconnect, I read that I can use the DDNS method), Docker (looking for PiHole or AdGuard for the network, 2 people only), adding more drive in future (going for 1 drive for starter, don't need RAID), and most important of all is the power consumption (for 24/7, mostly for media server and download station). Have a few questions as I still not decided between Xpenology or other NAS OS option for my needs.

1. I found 2 HP ProDesk 400 G4 Mid Tower (500gigs HDD and 4GB DDR4 RAM, 3 SATA ports | 2x3.5" hard drive slot), the first one are using i3-6100 and the other i5-6500. Which one should I get? I read that i5-6500 not supporting ECC and the i3-6100 are supporting ECC, but I don't know about the motherboard whether it support or not. The ECC part aren't important if I read it right from this forum (for Xpenology), I think the power consumption part are the most important for me.
  2. As I'm looking for 1 drive starter and not looking for RAID (mirror or anything), can I just adding the drive when the Xpenology already running? I mean like on the computer, when the C drive already filled at 90% then I just have to buy more drive and add to the computer, or do I have to reconfigure the loader? I'm not familiar with how DSM works on the multibay, as I only have experience with the DS112. I'm looking for something like JBOD, as long as the new added drive are detected and I can use it.

Basically, TLDR, I'm looking for much beefier than DS112 in terms of processing time (like managing the data inside, while running Download Station, as the DS112 are quite slow and makes me waiting a few times), space for more hard drive (I think I can live with 3 SATA ports on the HP Desktop), and the friendliness of DSM GUI while still have good power consumptions and off course cheaper hardware (than the Synology one). 

Any info or point to where I should be looking at are helping. Thank you in advance, and hope my English are understandable.

EDIT: For the media server, I don't need transcoding as I'm using some Android TV box.

Edited by aurius

• aurius changed the title to Advice needed, looking for upgrade from DS112