XPEnology Community

Issues Installing DSM7.1 on HP N54L Microserver

Tunesly

Hi all,

I have been using a HP G7 N54L Microserver with the standard 4 drives (4x 2TB Seagate SATA NASware, ancient but still working) and embedded NIC, and a SanDisk 16GB USB3.0 flashdrive running DSM5.0 that was setup by a friend around 10 years ago and it has worked flawlessly but given the age of the software I figured it was time to upgrade to DSM7.1.1. I'm a noob to xpenology myself so please be gentle. I've read up a fair bit but I've still got a ways to go.

I've been following the well written upgrade guide here https://tomvanveen.eu/installing-synology-dsm-7-x-on-a-hp-n54l-in-2022/ in combination with the excellent post by flyride here:

Many people have had success with it but I've run into a problem during the build in TinyCore. First I flashed the BIOS successfully using Kamzata's ROM (https://www.bios-mods.com/forum/showthread.php?pid=75965#pid75965). I didn't realise this reset the BIOS clock which I thought might be the issue but I've since updated it and the issue persists. I've also disabled the C1E Support setting so it's not that. I'm using older TC v0.9.3.0 as recommended in the guide for N54Ls, with the BIOS/CSM/Legacy boot from USB flash drive image.

I can run through all the commands successfully but when I boot into RedPill USB option in the GRUB menu I get this "error: file './custom.gz' not found" (pic attached) and my router is not assigning an IP address so I can't find Synology in Synology Assistant (checked the ports/cables so issue is not router related).

I noticed these issues following the build command in the TinyCore terminal:

menuentry 'RedPill DS3622xs v7.1.1-42962 Beta (USB, Verbose)' {
menuentry 'RedPill DS3622xs v7.1.1-42962 Beta (SATA, Verbose)' {
Updated user_config with USB Command Line : withefi earlyprintk syno_hw_version=DS3622xs+ console=ttyS0,115200n8 netif_num=1 pid=0x5580 earlycon=uart8250,io,0x3f8,115200n8 syno_port_thaw=1 mac1=9CB65407E0C3 sn=2030SQRH8LJAM vid=0x0781 elevator=elevator loglevel=15 HddHotplug=0 DiskIdxMap=00 syno_hdd_detect=0 vender_format_version=2 syno_hdd_powerup_seq=0 log_buf_len=32M root=/dev/md0 SataPortMap=6 
Updated user_config with SATA Command Line : withefi earlyprintk syno_hw_version=DS3622xs+ console=ttyS0,115200n8 netif_num=1 pid=0x5580 earlycon=uart8250,io,0x3f8,115200n8 synoboot_satadom=1 syno_port_thaw=1 mac1=9CB65407E0C3 sn=2030SQRH8LJAM vid=0x0781 elevator=elevator loglevel=15 HddHotplug=0 DiskIdxMap=00 syno_hdd_detect=0 vender_format_version=2 syno_hdd_powerup_seq=0 log_buf_len=32M root=/dev/md0 SataPortMap=6 
Generating GRUB entries for model :ds3622xsp_42962 in /home/tc
./rploader.sh: line 2260: /home/tc/include/grubmgr.sh: No such file or directory
Failed to generate grub.cfg
./rploader.sh: line 2261: /home/tc/include/grubmgr.sh: No such file or directory
Failed to add USB entry
./rploader.sh: line 2262: /home/tc/include/grubmgr.sh: No such file or directory
Failed to add SATA entry
./rploader.sh: line 2263: /home/tc/include/grubmgr.sh: No such file or directory
Failed to add SATA entry
./rploader.sh: line 2264: /home/tc/include/grubmgr.sh: No such file or directory
Failed to add SATA entry
cp: cannot create regular file '/home/tc/redpill-load/part1/boot/grub/grub.cfg': Permission denied
grep: /home/tc/grub.cfg: No such file or directory
Copying grub file /home/tc/grub.cfg to /home/tc/redpill-load/localdiskp1/boot/grub/grub.cfg
cp: cannot stat '/home/tc/grub.cfg': No such file or directory
menuentry 'RedPill DS3622xs v7.1.1-42962 Beta (USB, Verbose)' {
menuentry 'RedPill DS3622xs v7.1.1-42962 Beta (SATA, Verbose)' {
Setting next grub entry 
Setting next grub entry to Friend : 
sudo: /usr/local/bin/grub-editenv: command not found
sudo: /usr/local/bin/grub-editenv: command not found
Grub entry has been set to : 
Ramdisk in not compressed 
48778 blocks
42649 blocks
91425 blocks
Cleaning up files
Caching files for future use
No adequate space on TCRP loader partition /mnt/sde3 to cache pat file
Found /mnt/sde3/auxfiles/ds3622xsp_42962.pat file
Removing older cached pat files to cache current
Found /home/tc/redpill-load/cache/ds3622xsp_42962.pat, copying to cache directory : /mnt/sde3/auxfiles 
Saving user session for future use. Saving current extensions  -> OK !
Saving current user_config.json  -> OK !

Also worth noting (I think) is that when I attempt to boot into RedPill in the GRUB menu, the TinyCore option is no longer present, which it seems to be on successful installs.

Apologies for the long first post. In my rookie status I'm stumped so any advice on what I can look into in order to proceed will be greatly appreciated. If any additional info or part of the command logs will be useful I can include it.

photo_2024-02-20_13-43-04.jpg

I should have included the commands I used in TinyCore:

./rploader.sh update

./rploader.sh fullupgrade

./rploader.sh identifyusb

./rploader.sh serialgen DS3622xs+ realmac

./rploader.sh satamap

./rploader.sh build ds3622xsp-7.1.1-42962

./rploader.sh backup

./rploader.sh backuploader

It completed them all but with some errors during the build outlined above.