XPEnology Community

Best DSM/Loader for Datto w/ Xeon Silvers???

Christian1

This has been so much fun! Was so thrilled when I rebooted and saw the Synology DSM loader screen! I did it!! YEs!! (fist pump).. OK what's next? Hardware....

I have a Datto unit that I got DS918+ load running on it using DSM 7.1-42661 U1, but I am not sure if this is the best load to get the most out of my hardware.

Hardware = SuperMicro rebrand Gigabit MD71-HO Mainboard with dual Xeon Silver 4210's, 64GB DDR4 per Xeon, 4 SATA drives, 1- 256GB SSD, 1 NVME 100GB Intel Optane, 4-1gb Ethernet ports. 

Currently INFO screen shows a Celeron J3455, but I read somewhere that this was hardcoded based on the loader used? 

Is there a way to see if all the cores are recognized?

Is there a better loader for this hardware than DS918+? 

Should I use an older DSM like 6.2 and pick a DS3622XS?

I have been down so many rabbit holes trying to best leverage this hardware that I am a little lost.

Any help appreciated!

Thanks 

image.png

14 минут назад, Christian1 сказал:

Currently INFO screen shows a Celeron J3455, but I read somewhere that this was hardcoded based on the loader used?

Is there a way to see if all the cores are recognized?

Is there a better loader for this hardware than DS918+?

Should I use an older DSM like 6.2 and pick a DS3622XS?

dual-CPU with 128Gb RAM for DSM??? This is an incredibly excessive amount of power! :)

it is better to install a hypervisor on such hardware (for example, ESXi) and run a large number of different virtual machines and servers on it, only one of which will be a virtual DSM

First, there is no such thing as too big of a speaker, or too much CPU or RAM! LOL

I suppose I could Virtualize, but the idea is not so much to max out the hardware use, as much as it is to see how much I can get DSM to recognize.

It was free hardware!

I see that you have an i9-9900K on 920+. Is that better than 918+ ? 

is 7.2.1-69057 a better choice for newer hardware?

And a real big question...... what is Arc?!!! Looks like it can provide a customized Red Pill loader? Should I be looking into this?

52 минуты назад, Christian1 сказал:

see that you have an i9-9900K on 920+. Is that better than 918+ ?

I have ESXi installed on this processor. And several virtual machines (Windows and DSM) at the same time.

The DS920+ is slightly newer than the DS918+, but you'll only notice this in real Synology devices. When installing Xpenology, and even in the form of a virtual machine, the differences will be minimal, you can try any.

You can see the model differences and recommendations here.

Keep in mind that the Xeon processor does not have an iGPU, so the hardware transcoding capabilities of the DS918+/DS920+ will not be available to you anyway.

58 минут назад, Christian1 сказал:

is 7.2.1-69057 a better choice for newer hardware?

of course, today it is no longer necessary to look at version 6 of the DSM

59 минут назад, Christian1 сказал:
And a real big question...... what is Arc?!!! Looks like it can provide a customized Red Pill loader? Should I be looking into this?

Yes, this is one of the most convenient redpill-based bootloaders for today. In most cases, its installation looks like this: burn the image to a USB stick, boot, select the DSM model and answer all other questions  "OK".

DJ... thanks so much for your help!

I am learning so much and having a fun time going down all these rabbit holes.

The ARC loader turned out to be a real help! 

So far this is what I have accomplished:

Made bootloader USB for 920+ 7.1.1-42962 update 6

Sees one of the two Intel Xeon Silver 4210 Cascade Lake  w/ 8 cores (way better than a J Celeron!)

Recognizes the nVME Intel Optane 100GB and using as volume cache device!!! Awesome!

Regonized the 256GB SATA SSD. 

Cloned USB stick boot loader to 256 SSD and can boot to internal SSD!!! WooHoo!!!

ABFB activated successfully!

One last thing I would like to get working is the NICs...

This Gigabyte Mainboard has 2 - 10GB Intel Ethernet X557-AT2 on board NICs (as well as 2 Marvell 88E1514 1GB adaptors) but only recognizes one 10GB, and one 1GB.

This is strange because it has two identical nics onboard, so the driver must be available, but for some reason only 2 of 4 nics are regognized, and only one as 10GB.

Would be so kewl to have both NICS at 10GB and then team them together!!!

Is there a file to edit? A config to change? Any way to do this without starting from complete scratch?

Thanks again for the help!