XPEnology Community

HBA Controller Passthrough - No Drives Detected

I am trying install DSM 7.2 - DS3622xs+ on the following system:

Ryzen 5 4650g

Rog Strix b550i (4xsata, 2xNvme)

32gb ram

On motherboard sata: 2xSSD for Proxmox boot, 2xSSD for Proxmox VMs, 2xNVME for Xpenology cache

On LSI/Broadcom SAS3008 HBA Controller in IT Mode: 4x18tb HDD, 2x SSD for VMs, 2xSata empty for future expansion

ARC Loader 21.4.24.img

I followed some PCIE passthrough tutorials to install xpenology using the manual HDD pass-through method which worked fine but was limited to 6 sata ports only. Installed with ARC Loader 21.4.24, selected the first option for SataportMap: Active Ports*.  When I got to the find.synology.com screen, it recognized I had drives 2 to 7 and installed DSM. However, I would like the option to have more drives in the future, so I scrapped the VM and try to install again by passing the whole HBA card to the VM itself. 

I added- Raw Device - select HBA Card - ROM-BAR and PCI-Express Checked. I have tried every option for the SataportMap, but each time I get 'No Drives Detected'. In the Arc Loader sysinfo, when you scroll down, it recognizes the HBA card and says it has 6 drives attached to it. This told me that the loader can see the drives, so I manually passed through one of my NVME drives using scsi. When you get to the find.synology.com screen, it recognized the 1 nvme drive and was able to install DSM. When it finally loads, my 4x18th and 2xSSDs attached to the HBA are visible and working fine in DSM. 

So what am I missing? Can I not boot into DSM without having at least one HDD or SSD manually passed through? My eyes are going cross trying to troubleshoot every possibility, I wanted to list here everything I have done to troubleshoot but that would be a huge post. 

Should I skip trying to pass through the whole HBA Card and just manually pass through the drives? How do I add more drives then? 

Any suggestions are welcome. 

Screenshot 2024-01-29 141802.png

Screenshot 2024-01-29 215112.png

Screenshot 2024-01-29 212818.png